Growing Tobacco

Page 1 of 2
Hello Everyone.
I'am wondering if anyone has any experience growing tobacco here in our Newfoundland climate. For those that do, I would like to know where to get the seeds for it, and also where should I grow it ? I heard that it was like growing corn, but I don't know if that is true or not. I'am getting a greenhouse soon from Kent's, and also I have allot of Topsoil and Peat Moss and Composted Cow Manure and plenty of lime. Should I grow it in the greenhouse or out in one of my gardens ? If someone could supply me with some details on growing it, and what soil and stuff to use, and whether I use lime or not, and so on, it would be very much appreciated.
So anyone with experience regarding this, please respond to this post. I'am very grateful.
Thanks to all,
Justin Harding.
Add pictures here
✖
Justin Harding wrote:

http://www.datasync.com/sbe/Tobacco.html
http://www.raingardens.com/seedpage/tobacco.htm
http://www.coffinails.com/seeds.html
http://www.nor.com.au/~splash /
http://www.batnet.com/rwc-seed/tobacco.html
Add pictures here
✖
Hey thats not really what I was looking for... I was looking for personal experience with it... I already have plently of pages that I searched for myself.
Justin

Add pictures here
✖
Justin Harding wrote:

✖
Justin Harding wrote:

I've grown nicotiana alata (not common flowering tobacco, but some big variety with white flowers) in a partially-shaded and not-very-fertile flower bed in Minnesota. It grew about 5 feet tall in just a few months. I didn't try smoking any of it, but I was tempted to try it. I've also seen N. sylvestis locally in someone's garden and it was even bigger than the N. alata.
Hope this helps, :-) Bob
Add pictures here
✖
You'd think growing up in Connecticut with tobacco fields all around I'd know more about this plant. Colleen Zone 5 CT
Add pictures here
✖
On 6/11/04 2:44 AM, in article cabuun$11q$ snipped-for-privacy@nntp-stjh-01-01.rogers.nf.net,

if I have checked those sites out...but I will gratefully do that. Maybe I missed something. Again, THANKS!

Add pictures here
✖
A few years ago in one of the seed catalogs from ontario they had tobacco seed. I think we got the catalog with / from a Harrowsmith magazine.
take care Liz in Calgary.

Add pictures here
✖
On 6/10/04 2:52 PM, in article caal7h$k23$ snipped-for-privacy@nntp-stjh-01-01.rogers.nf.net,

I haven't grown it myself but I have a friend that has. He never offered a sample to try but did offer his opinion about the product. Yuk! I saw the plant it had big leaves and was growing in a loose, sandy type soil. It was about three feet tall. Fertilizer? Certified organic manure of some kind. And by the way, you may not like the information I give you but it is the best I can do. The person who sent you those sites (WWW) was doing the best he/she could also. A simple thanks for our input would be very appropriate...even if you don't want the information. A 'thanks' sometimes means more than you know. Gary Fort Langley BC Canada
To reply please remove...yoursocks...
Add pictures here
✖

It's a disgusting habit, you are killing yourself and those around you.
Sheesh... you haven't even tried to look... there are dozens and dozens of web sites that sell seed and offer all the info you need:... you want we should smoke em for you too: http://www.seedman.com/Tobacco.htm
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 31 May 2009 11:36:35 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

I know you can buy the plants at the farmer's co-op. Have not seen the seeds, tough. Tobacco requires a lot of care. Listen to the American Cancer Society.
Add pictures here
✖
On May 31, 12:36 pm, snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

There are healthier things to smoke that you could grow a lot more easily.
Add pictures here
✖

There are healthier things to smoke that you could grow a lot more easily.
================ Smoking pot/weed is just as damaging to ones respiratory system and health in all respects as tobacco smoke... anyone who believes not is living under a rock. I wouldn't wish emphysema and COPD on my worst enemy. Anyone who still smokes (anything) is an asshole who will one day beg for a bullet in their brain. Gasping for every breath is the very worst way to die, worse than terminal cancer. And when you can't breath no one can help you and nobody will try, no one can breathe for you, you are all on your own. At least with terminal cancer you'll get pain killers and sleep inducers... when you can't breathe there is no onocologist, no radiation therapy, there is nothing... the best you'll get is being ignored, your own doctor will avoid you... you will pray for that bullet in your brain.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 02:55:31 GMT, against all advice, something

I'm gonna sit down with my doctor, and I'm gonna tell her (yes, her), "Doc, I need one of those medical marijuana cards."
And she's gonna say, "Why?"
And I'm gonna say, "Because I have a bad attitude. And every time I smoke marijuana, my attitude improves."
Don't really see a problem with that.
--

Don't worry about people stealing an idea. If it's original, you will
have to ram it down their throats.

What does your doctor being female have to do with anything... that you even bring it up only proves you are mentally unstable.

You have a sissy attitude, the attitude of a wuss.

Any doctor who prescribes anything to smoke should lose their license... there are plenty of attitude altering drugs in pill form and injectible... just like all other substance abusers you're simply a spineless bastard.who is incapable of self responsibility. One day you will be gasping and sputtering for that bullet in your brain and no one will hear you.
Add pictures here
✖
to keep it fresh, freeze it, not in a frig, and if you dont have a temp regulated room for storing it. to dry the leaves my aunt (she grew it in sw WI) would hang the leaves in slat houses all winter, sometime in January there would be a thaw the leaves would absorb enough moisture so they could be crated and shipped so we always called the Jan thaw "casing weather" Ingrid Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 03:13:19 +0000, brooklyn1 wrote:

I'd rather die from smoking than live my entire life being a self righteous asshole.
Add pictures here
✖

Are there any other choices?
It is odd that you said you didn't want to debate your habits, and your wishes were promptly disregarded.
--

- Billy
✖

What about as an ingredient for brownies or spaghetti sauce? What about vaporizing it?
Add pictures here
✖
In article

And then there are those in chemotherapy who are nauseous and can't eat but cannabinol alleviates these symptoms and allows them to eat. The problem is, if they have to swallow a pill, they are just as likely to barf it up as not. Whereas if they smoke their cannabis, they can more easily regulate the amount that they need without getting nauseous. We really aren't sure what cannabis is good for because the federal government will only fund research into the dangers of cannabis.
Best thing I've heard about cannabis is that Shelly is against it. Since Shelly is just about always wrong, it bodes well for cannabis. Of course if he heard about our local "Gay Pride Parade" he would probably have a coronary. So don't tell him about http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20090531/ARTICLES/905319977/1334/NEW S?Title=Pride-parade-returns-
--

- Billy
✖