Don't buy from Gurneys

Page 1 of 2
I am sure you expereinced gardners already know this, but Gurney's is crazy with thier prices. Which mail order places do you buy from?

Crazy compared to whom?
Well, they charge the same prices as does my local Homoe Depot. So why pay for shipping? That is crazy

Variety, maybe. And, a month from now, the Home Depot morons will be doing everything they can to murder their nursery stock. :-)
Easy moron. Not all HD stores are the same.

You tell 'em, Moroni.
Some HD managers are worse than the others.
Don't get you hopes up expecting any of them giving a damn about some silly plants. They're in the hardware business not florists. They get their gardening experts straight out of high school!!!!

well I didn't work for the orange box, but I worked for Lowes knows how to aggrivate their employees and I resemble that remark! Only with me, they got a high school educated, life and road educated old middle aged master gardener who cared about the plants and the customers. And you're right, C. they're in the hardware business, but they also take their gardening center's fairly serious. It's about to be the "100 days of madness", I always tell people that the only thing they need look for is diseased and insects, and unless they need landscaping trees or shrubs, to avoid the perennials now since they're so over grown and root bound. I HATE how they have convinced the nurseries that grow the stock that the bigger the plant the better. Give me a small plant that has been bumped up for three years and has ample soil and not all packed fulla roots and I'll purchase it quickly. The diversity doesn't count if the roots are the shape of the freaking pots........I'm starting to be more than fed up with the practices of nurseries and such. and today I'm just fed up with the govn't and corn industry. I gotta stop reading Grist......it's depressing the hell outa me.....I'll be posting an update on the doings in Fairy Holler soon. pardon my ranting and mumblings. madgardener
madgardener: Lowe's nursery stock so expensive compared to HD. Although I try to frequent small, local nurseries rather than the big boxes, especially for shrubs and tress. Annuals I do hit the big boxes. The best is to ask which days the trucks deliver and stop by that evening after work.
We have a contest around here to see if Home Depot or Wal-Mart can get the most ideots working with the plants. Plus they don't pay any attention to what area plants should be sent to. You are better off going to a good greenhouse in your area.
From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Here, they can't seem to hire anyone who notices that six-packs dry out in about 23 on a warm day. The plants look like crap within 2 weeks of being put on display.

23 MINUTES! (typo)
Here in Maryland the HD workers don't have time to worry about dried up plants. It is a shame, they work those people like slaves.

There should an ASPCP - for prevention of cruelty to plants.
How true that is.
Its really shameful how they force their employees to work in chains.
If it wasn't for the occasional rain, the plants would never get watered.

The HD I shop at has irrigation.. I know, I know that sounds stupid, but they have like 5 dudes that dote over the plants like children. Everything from annuals to the largest trees. I'm sorry your box store doesn't have anyone worth a damn. They even carry pruners and I've seen them use them...Correctly. They can even tell you what type they are. Maybe you all should do that voice of the people thing with your receipt at their website and complain/compliment the HD you shop at.

Their "voice of the people" thing does not work, at least not the way it should. Matter of fact, if you call their home office and try to reach a district manager, you'll never get a call back. HD funtions behind a wall of silence.
Sadly, Big Brother doesn't give a fig.

Again "Mr. Down everything because you know nothing" Kanter.. The HD I shop at actually during their opening meeting once, as I walked by, the ASM was actually READING the vop to the associates and they KNEW who each statement was about without names mentioned.. I thought that was info coming down from The Great Wall of Silence as you call it and it was doing some good. I'll reiterate my statement from before. Not all box stores are the same. From blue to orange, it depends on who's there now. Hell the one 6 miles down the road from the one I shop, well I can't say enough bad things of them.. That's where to get the discount perennials in the late summer... By the way this HD is in Short Pump Va. Excellent nursery choices. The better Lowes here is the one closest to the other HD I mentioned. The district Lowes home office is in the same mall as the HD I Shop and they SUCK OUT LOUD!

Deciphering your 3rd grade writing isn't really worth the trouble, but I get the general idea of what you tried to say.
A month ago, I walked into the store to buy two simple fluorescent fixtures for my basement. The signs on the wall next to the display fixtures contain HD SKU numbers. The actual product boxes have no numbers which match the signs on the wall. It took almost 90 minutes to find someone who could match the thing on the wall to the correct boxes.
That shopping trip should've been over in 15 minutes. I could've had one of the two fixtures installed if I hadn't wasted time with their defective display system. The receipt contains a code number you can use to take a survey. I asked to be called about the problem in that store. Hasn't happened yet. I called the home office directly and left a message for the district manager. No response.
When I tell you the company is unresponsive, you have no choice but to accept what I say.
90 minutes!!!! You are an idiot...Holy crap, 90 friggin minutes for 2 florescent light fixtures? Holy crap again!. Understand this writing you self entwined twit? I've heard it all now. You shouldn't even have a drivers license and be let out on the road. What a moron. How do you even eat? I mean tell me dude, If there are 2 forks in the drawer, how do you figure out which one will stuff food in that hole over your chin? Aw crap, now I've told you where food goes. Son of a .... Holy Crap!! 90 minutes? And you admitted it? Maybe the "box" store mentality is just escaping you on Home Improvement, I dunno... Maybe you could just shop at the Dollar Tree for those hard to figure things..