Hey Gardners - Pumpkin Plant Question??

Hey all you expert gardeners in this group, I have a simple question for you!! Is it possible to grow pumpkins in a "plant container"??

A few weeks ago, we discovered like 20 baby pumpkin sprouts growing in our compost bin ( we threw the kids Halloween pumpkins in there in December 2008 ).

We took out a couple of baby pumpkin sprouts an put them in a 3 quart plant container, and let me tell you, they are already growing very RAPIDLY!!!! One of the pumpkin plants already has buds and flowers on it, and is probably about 2-3 feet long!!!!

Unfortunately we have a SMALL yard, and my husband just re-seeded the whole lawn in the spring, and doesn't want to dig up the new grass, to plant the pumpkin plants.

So is it possible to keep letting it grow in a 3 quart container? But is it true that pumpkin plants can grow up to 30 feet long!? If so, I don't know where we would put a plant that long!!??

But I would love to grow pumpkins for the kids!! Halloween pumpkins are SO EXPENSIVE these days!!! I remember when I was a kid, you could buy a Halloween pumpkin for like $3 or $4 bucks, now-a-days they want $15 dollars for a small Halloween pumpkin!!!!

ANY info. would great be appreciated!!!

Thanks!

Reply to
MICHELLE H.

Hi Michelle How exciting to find baby pumpkin vines! Why not just try a few in containers and find out what happens? Vines can be trained up on fences, trellises etc. When they get large, support them in a sling made of old panty hose! Have fun and I hope the kids get their own home grown pumpkins this fall. Emilie NorCal

Reply to
mleblanca