Pumpkin question

I had lots of rougue pumpkin vines come up this year. (I didn't plant any but I have a dozen vines. Meanwhile, I planted 100 sunflowers but I don't have a single one. Go figure.) Anyway, this is a first for me. Tell me, when the fruit turns orange, is it done growing? For some reason I seem to have a lot of small fruit turning orange already. It seems to me that if the vine gets disturbed in any way that the growth of the pumpkin stops and the fruit turns orange -- is that right?

Reply to
FragileWarrior

"FragileWarrior"

Reply to
Farm1

If the seed parents of these rogue pumpkin vines were hybrid, chances are the offspring will be genetic freaks. You might get some weird looking pumpkins. I hate to tell you this but PUMPKINS ARE PROMISCIOUS. They will cross breed with members of the squash family!

F.J.

Reply to
fudge

"fudge" wrote in news:44ce6cdb snipped-for-privacy@news.cybersurf.net:

Nah, they are pumpkins. I don't grow any other veggies. These seeds are from pumpkins I fed to my horses so they probably came from pumpkin fields. They're just ripening NOW and this seems a little early to me. Maybe because they wintered outside they got a too-early start on the growing season.

Reply to
FragileWarrior

"FragileWarrior" from pumpkins I fed to my horses so they probably came from pumpkin

One of my pumpkins is turning orange, I'm guessing it will be ripe in a few weeks. The rest are dark green and still growing. I think pumpkins can ripen starting early August, depending on the variety, and keep ripening until frost hits.

Reply to
Matthew Reed