Caterpillar Identification Help please!

Hi,
My son found a caterpillar in the wood next to the house and we are having trouble finding it, I am worried that it maybe an alien species. Unfortunately we did not get a photograph of it. All I can do is describe:
Around 5cm long, mainly green, but when it elongates it shows black segments, it has 3/4 white warty like lumps two thirds the way down it's length from it's head. It has mainly green hairs, but there was a striking red tuft on it's head.
Am I worrying over nothing?
Thanks,
Will
--
tso617

On 10/19/2010 12:49 PM, tso617 wrote:

Assuming you are in the UK, do any of these seem similar?
http://www.ispot.org.uk/taxonomy/term/945
tso617 wrote:

Where did you lose it? Have you looked in the wardrobe? This is where they hide while waiting to phone home. Send you son to look it may communicate with him.

If you said where you are it might assist any budding entomologists.

I am not sure. What difference would it make if was or was not an alien species?
Is there some government agency responsible for control of agricultural pests etc that you could consult?
David