Identification help, please

I have this shrub in my yard and it has been giving me fits trying to figure out what it is. ANY help would be appreciated. I have put some pics up of it at:

those of you who don't want to go the website, here are the traits for it: Shape: Vase shaped 12' tall and six foot across

Leaf: Simple, Alternate, Palmate lobed, 2 1/2" by 1 1/2", rounded cunate base, dark green on top, light green on bottom, glabourous with very small, very fines hairs on stem stopping at base, LEAF SCAR is shield to heart shape.

Bud: Light brown, doubled but once in a while single, rounded

Zone: Growing in Zone 6a

Flowers: Double flowers, rarely 1 flower, lavender in color

Stem: Round, brown, numerous lenticels whiteish-brown.

Once again thank you for your help.

--Scott

P.S. Before someone says I am simply trying to shill my site, Pappy's Greenhouse is a figment of my imagination and will be for about another five years. LZK Industries (my online retail business) is officially closed and there is nothing, no where on my site to buy. I could care less if anyone looks at the rest of my site. I am just trying to find out what this shrub is. Thanks again.

Reply to
Gunnar Savage

Looks to be Hibiscus syriacus 'Collie Mullens', aka Rose of Sharon, double-flowered form.

pam - gardengal

For those of you who don't want to go the website, here are the traits for

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

That's what I thought at first too, and all of the research I have done points to the Collie Mullins, but what about the flower color? All of the pics I have seen and all of the articles says the flowers should be pink. These in my yard are definitely purple. Could this be a different cultivar? Until I get a better answer, I'm going with yours. I guess it really isn't important in the grander scheme of the world, but I'm kind of anal about this kind of thing. Thanks.

> For those of you who don't want to go the website, here are the traits for

Reply to
Gunnar Savage

"Gunnar Savage" points to the Collie Mullins, but what about the flower color? All of the

I think the color is rather variable with these things, as it can be with many plants. IME, the flowers open a pepto-bismol pink and deepen as they age to a purple or rather, more of a magenta color. Dirr describes it as a "purple-lavender". Color, as is scent, is open to a lot of interpretation.

pam - gardengal

> > For those of you who don't want to go the website, here are the traits

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

Magnificent lavatera!

Reply to
Pen

The hibiscus family in general is subject to color change over the course of the day. The confederate rose, hibiscus mutabilis, actually changes from white to dark pink in the course of a few hours.

Reply to
gregpresley

Rose of Sharon is very common here in South Louisiana. I've seen multitudes of colors. Blue, pink, white and lavender (purple) Perry "Gunnar Savage" points to the Collie Mullins, but what about the flower color? All of the

> > For those of you who don't want to go the website, here are the traits

Reply to
Perry Templeton

That settles it for me then. Thank you sincerely for your help.

--Scott

the