Need help ID-ing a caterpillar

Does any know of an outstanding site? I have one (actually it is two) I have never seen before on my witch hazel.

It has a red head and "red hunchback" if those traits ring any bells. I'll take a picture and throw myself on someone's mercy to post it - I don't get binary groups.

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

The last url may be the place to start.

Bill

Reply to
William Wagner

Reply to
jmagerl

A good little book to have:

Peterson First Guide to Caterpillars of North America by Amy Bartlett Wright

Paperback: 128 pages Publisher: Houghton Mifflin; 2Rev Ed edition (May 15, 1998) Language: English ISBN-10: 0395911842 ISBN-13: 978-0395911846 Product Dimensions: 7.1 x 3.7 x 0.4 inches Price: $5.95

and sweet book that is easy to thumb through and look at the pictures/drawings. There are some larger, more in depth books but this one isn't bad for the money (yes I have one and it gets used :)

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

I may nab that

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Cheryl Isaak wrote in news:C2FDF509.6DEA4% snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net:

Check for best pricing at

which searches through hundreds of online book stores for the best available price.

Reply to
FragileWarrior

The caterpillars of "Hairstreak butterflies" come in various colors, but are described as slug shaped (hunch backed?)

is not the color of yours, but possibly the same shape?

Lar

Reply to
Lar

I've found it - a red humped caterpillar.....

Cheryl Isaak

Hi Cheryl,

That is a relatively new book and is on my wish list :) It isn't all that expensive either. Just shy of $20 via Amazon.

The small Peterson book has been around for awhile now and used to be about the only decent reference available for caterpillars. It was recommended to me by a respected Naturalist (at least respected by me :).

Reply to
Leon Fisk

And there are too few respectable people around these days ;)

I've wish listed as well....

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak