chisel ID

I ran across a couple of chisels in a box lot at an estate auction and am having trouble identifying them. I have pictures which I'm going to post to the picture group but am not sure if pictures are frowned upon in this group so I'll stick to a description only here.

#1 - Tanged firmer chisel. The logo is stamped deep enough to muddle the letters so I can't make it all out. I'm 99% sure it says "Charles

*******" on the first line, a screw logo in the middle and "Sheffield Tools" across the bottom. I've seen the screw logo before but can't for the life of me remember whose mark that is.

#2 - Also tanged firmer. The mark has been scuffed on half making it unreadable. On the top is a logo inside a scroll-like banner. Inside it reads "Thomas ?????" "Sheffield" (actually She????, but I'm assuming...). Onthe back is the same scroll banner. Inside is "Electro ???ACC" and "ST???"

Any help is greatly appreciated. The curiosity is killing me. Eric

Reply to
Eric Armstrong

Eric,

You are right. This is a text only newsgroup. We post our pics to alt.binaries.pictures.furniture and/or alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking. Then we post here to let others know where to look.

Sorry, can't help on the ID.

Preston

Reply to
Preston Andreas

Eric Armstrong asks:

I'm no expert but might it be "Charles Buck"?

T.H. Witherby? I seem to recall at some point the logo was Thomas Witherby, but I might be mistaken. Try the galoot mailing list over at Cornell.edu.

Reply to
MrAoD