sevin® is carbaryl

Sevin® is carbaryl.

Despite what it says about red scale by the manufacturer. My gardening book does not say it's for scale. and not to mix with oil (?) Goodluck.

Reply to
Loki

I've already done some googling on scale, but not until I'd tried Sevin. Most websites on scale say that carbaryl does not work...

The most effective 'cides for scale must be oil based.

Reply to
Katra

il Mon, 14 Feb 2005 08:22:02 -0600, Katra ha scritto:

Conqueror oil (NZ) is 970ml/litre mineral oil, nothing else. I may have mixed it with orthene but I think it was the plain oil I used and my heavily invested bay tree (not a patch of bark uncolonised) is looking better I noticed today. So it kills not by poison but by mechanical means i.e. smothering. I suspect you can use it fairly liberally. Whether vegie oil would work as well, it may break down more quickly. I'm afraid you will have to google, my expertise is limited.

Watch out for ants. it seems they like farming aphids and someone said also scale. They shuffle them around and basically use them as a farmer would stock.

Goodluck

Reply to
Loki

Mineral oil would also not go rancid. It would probably also "polish" the cactus and make it look pretty!

I'll give that a shot, thanks!

Yeah, I've also read that about mealy bug. :-P I got mealy bug on a coleus last year that was in the greenhouse. Rather than risk further infestation, I moved the coleus OUTSIDE and sprayed it down well with Sevin! That worked fine, but I probably won't be keeping coleus any more... at least not in the greenhouses.

Reply to
Katra

I'm not sure if it would specifically be applicable for scale infestations, but I've had some good success with Neem oil. It's organic to boot and extreemly effective even at a small dose. Usually a pine oil extract is used as an emulsifier, so it can be mixed with water. It's basically non toxic. (Neem extracts are used in some herbal therapies) and highly effective. (I know one horticulturalist here in Ontario who has used it effectively against everything from aphids to chich bugs!)

-=J=-

Reply to
JDiG