That's probably why Garden Tech lists aphid on their pest list, since
Sevin Concentrate contains agents which thicken it and make it stick
to leaves. So technically it can kill aphids by drowning them the same
way soapy water can.
On my convolvulus, I actually found an equal number of white flakes
which turned out to be dead aphids on the *tops* of the leaves. But
since it's much harder to hit the *undersides* of the leaves which is
where I learned aphids tend to congregate, it's more effective to use
a chemical that actually kills them.
Of course it depends on the plant, as on some plants it might be
easier to hit both sides of the leaves.
Thanks for the tip!
I have always been blunt however the truth is no flame.
Excess nitrogen, crowded planting and indiscriminate use of broad
spectrum pesticides are the cultural practices leading to aphids
getting out of hand.
Pouring more spray on top of bad habits will not improve your garden
What you essentially posted was bigger pennies in the fusebox, you are
treating the symptoms and not the cause.
If you want a pesticide that is very good on aphids look into a
product called "Hot Pepper Wax " It will get you some control and not
wipe out the benneficials including pollinators which are allready
Sorry if it sounded like a flame. It was meant as information. It is
not surprising that so many people turn to chemicals to start with, after
all who has not seen the advertisements for them. You don't see the
information for alternatives, the money is in selling the chemicals not
If we sounded like we were flaming, consider it a flame of the chemical
I did not know that Sevin didn't kill aphids, so it's my thinking that
the information would be useful for others who don't know that.
The mistake I made is that I posted the message without realizing that
this group was anti-pesticide. For that I apologize.
No this group is NOt anti pesticide. There are plenty of unconcerned
users and abusers of pesticides posting regularly. If you'd read the
damn labels you'd not need other clueless abusers to educate
But I *do* read the labels. Very carefully. I apply exactly the rate
that the label recommends, and apply at the frequency the label
recommends as well. As I said in my original post, I wait the maximum
amount of time in between applications - 14 days. I mainly use it to
control Japanese Beetles.
The problem is, hon, that the pesticide is killing off all the
beneficial insects, too. Plus any birds that dine on the treated
insects. Plus increasing your cancer risk significantly. For
japanese beetles, let me recommend treating your soil with milky
spore. Once it's established, it can last 20 years or more . . .
we treated everything around here seven years ago, and the beetle
grub population has disappeared. For beetles on the plants, you
can really cut into the munching by taking a five gallon bucket,
adding a gallon of water, a cup of bleach, and a couple
tablespoons of a bleach-compatible soap or detergent. Run your
hands along the plants, and sweep the beetles into the bucket,
where they will drown. I could clear all thirty trees in the
orchard using this technique in less than an hour; less time than
it would have taken me to spray, actually. I'd then let the
bucket sit out for a couple of days so that the bleach could
decompose, and pour the whole shebang onto the compost pile.
Beetles controlled with minimal environmental impact, and minimal
us? who elected you as spokes person?
"Acts of creation are ordinarily reserved for gods and poets,
but humbler folk may circumvent this restriction if they know how.
To plant a pine, for example, one need be neither god nor poet;
one need only own a good shovel. By virtue of this curious loophole in the
any clodhopper may say: Let there be a tree--and there will be one"
I use a strong water spray on my plants every day. It doesn't get off
all the bugs.
The number one pest I have is Japanese Beetles. I've tried spraying
them, picking them off, etc. They eat new buds, they eat the leaves,
it's horrible. I have four Japanese Beetle traps around my yard. These
are the plastic traps that hold about 10x more beetles than the bags.
Every three days, each trap is filled to the top. It's THAT bad.
I would put milky spore down, however, I can't. I live in a condo
community. They allow us to plant containers and even our own flowers
in some spots.
I wrote the association about putting milky spore down. Don't know if
it will do any good.
I'm not growing vegetables, only flowers. I'm only spraying the
containers in my condo.
As for vegetables, with the amount of bugs I get, I can't see how a
farmer could grow a crop without some form of pesticide to stop the
destruction. For example, most bananas come from Mexico/South America.
There, a naturally growing bunch of bananas gets clotted with insects,
so in order to protect it, they have to cover each bunch with an
insecticide soaked plastic bag.
I didn't notice that the group here was anti-pesticide. I apologize
and will refrain from posting more info about it.
:) I didn't notice that the group here was anti-pesticide. I apologize
:) and will refrain from posting more info about it.
It's not, just the same vocal few who feel they must
speak down of those who for what ever reason are unable
to, or heaven forbid, have no desire to put in the time
to create an organic paradise. But instead of answering
or passing along helpful info, will tend to stroke their
own egos by usually spouting out something along the
line of "Learn how to garden".
I'm looking for what works... Chemical or organic. I'll use what I can
find. If organic means something I can mix up in my kitchen or pick up
locally, great. If it means spending hours on the phone/email
searching and waiting weeks for a shipment, I'll pass. When I find a
problem, I go to the store and look on the shelves. If I see something
that says it will work, I buy it and use it.
I don't have an aphid problem myself... Soap and water works for that.
I've only lost one plant to aphids and it was a Hybiscus.
Unfortunately, it doesn't work on my spider mites nor fungus gnats. I
didn't see any organic replies when I asked about them a while back,
Try that with an Ivy plant that 12 or more feet long, in a 4 foot long
planter, mounted to a stair well. Doesn't work so well. Same goes for
my 20 foot philodendron (sp?)... it runs from my second story down
into my basement stairwell.
Most of my other plants would be knocked out of their pots from the
pressure of the hose.
Sorry... I'm not a midget. That stairwell goes all the way up to the
second floor. There aren't too many second floors that are only four
feet from the first floor.
That ivy planter is four feet above the second floor. The tendrils
reach the bottom of the staircase on the first floor now.
Sounds like the voice of an expert here. Glad you have nothing better
to do than poke around my website.
With a garden hose? Yes, considering this is in my living room.
BTW, That Pothos has been repotted twice since the pictures were
taken. Check the date on those pictures... Feb 2002. The plants have
grown just a wee bit in the last 18 months or so.
I know it's hard for you to count past five... you need one hand free
to count the fingers on the other.
I never claimed I was a gardener... I just like plants and grow what I
can. BTW, what's wrong with Hybiscus in Calgary?
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.