water soluble hornet killer

Real Kill Wasp & Hornet Killer does a great joib on instant killing. Contains tralomethrin and d-trans allethrin. It is aerosol spray. Too dangerous to get on ladder when at war with hornets. Anyone know of water soluble compound that is equally effective that I can apply with my pressure washer from the ground. Frank Georgia

Reply to
Frank Thompson

Ortho Sevin, but not with a power washer, buy it in the liquid bottle you attach to a garden hose. But best is the powder, getting it on the nest at night.

Reply to
m Ransley

I've had good success by dusting the flighthole with Carbaryl late at night. Two days later there were no live wasps left. I believe it's water soluble.

-P.

Reply to
Peter Huebner

Just plain old soapy water usually does the trick.

Reply to
Henry "Ham" Hammond

That's what we use for just about every flying insect. Killer bees expecially. Best to hit them right after dark. Don't think I'd use a pressure washer though. A strong pump up would be better. I put one of those plastic bottle type things that the garden centers sell on the end of a water hose. Fill it up with dishwashing soap and you can always be prepared.

-
Reply to
-

Sevin. You would be better off with a hand pump sprayer. Pressure washers are too high power.

Reply to
Larry Caldwell

I've found gasoline to be one of the best wasp killers. A couple of shots into the nest hole from a squirt bottle filled with gas causes instant death.

Similarly, a mason jar of gas upended over the hole of a yellow jacket nest nukes 'em to the next world instantly.

(now we pause while the econazis howl....)

Only a small amount of gas is involved with the spritz bottle so the fire hazard is minimal. Just don't light a match to check your aim! :-)

Another great nuker is R-134a refrigerant. I got the idea from some heavy duty industrial wasp killer we used to get at TVA. It was a mix of some insecticide and R12. The R12 froze the bugs in place until the poison killed 'em. One blast of the stuff and animation ceases.

I experimented with R12 alone and found it to be equally effective. Turns out that freezing the l'il boogers kills 'em dead, no insecticide needed. Now that R12 is EVIL, I've found that R-134a works almost as well. It isn't as good a solvent as R12 so it doesn't soak in as well but it still freezes 'em dead.

You could run a small tube along the length of a paint roller extension rod or something similar. Connect the ground end to a blowoff can of R-134a. Use the rod to stick the other end in the nest's hole, turn the blowoff can upside down and let 'er rip!

I've used this attack scenario on large wasp nests with great success. I've yet to have the opportunity to try it on a hornet's nest. I have no doubt that it would work just fine, especially at night.

John

Reply to
Neon John

i use gas. if your goin head to head with hornets yo need something that will drop em imediately. ... night is the only time to get em all.

Reply to
ds549

Erm, did you see the word LADDER in the original post? I really don't think he would climb a ladder to get at a hole in the ground, now, would he? Unless he is seriously navigationally challenged ...

:-P

Reply to
Peter Huebner

This is Turtle.

I will tell you one replacement for the wasp killers in the spray can and that is Brake dust cleaner. Auto Zone has it in a yellow and black can for $.99 a can and works just as good as the $4 and $5 a can wasp spray in a spray can . I use it for wasp , bees, and ants . I have HVAC condenser units with ants and wasp nest in them and this brake dust cleaner will kill them real fast. Now with ants to get rid of them totally you have to use a poison of some type to get the Queen down in the ground of the nest.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE