Mix only the amount of Sevin to be used ????

I have a couple Zinnias and two Rose bushes that are starting to get Japanese Beetles eating them. I bought the Sevin concentrate. The directions say to mix only as much as you're going to use. Why? I was going to mix about 14 ounces of Sevin/water. I won't be able to use it all. Why can't it be stored? If you buy the ready to use spray bottle (32 ounces) I won't be able to use all of it at one time. But I can store/keep it. Seems to me I should be able to do the same with the Sevin I mix.

Reply to
Pete E. Kruzer

"Pete E. Kruzer" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@r36g2000vbn.googlegroups.co m:

because the dry Sevin doesn't have the same binder/preservative additional chemicals that the premixed does, therefore it breaks down in storage faster. the idea behind buying the mix-your-own is to save money on the not needed extra crap in the premixed. if you can't do the maths to use the dry, then maybe you should return it & get the premix. personally, i find hand picking Japanese beetles to be more successful than using the sprays anyway, & i have more than 8 roses, plus a small hops yard... Japanese beetles *love* hops. and unless you *and* all your neighbors treat for the larvae (grubs) of the Japanese beetles, all the Sevin in the store won't help your plants. lee

Reply to
enigma

It's because they care. :rolleyes:

They think you're an idiot who will store the leftover mix in a milk jug someplace where the kids can get to it -- like in the refrigerator. Or more likely, forget what's in your sprayer and then use it on something where it's not "listed".

You still might do that (no offense.) But now if you try to sue them for damages or wrongful death or something, they can say "you didn't follow the clear instructions on the label"

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Sevin in water is subject to hydrolysis:

at neutral pH, half life of an aqueous solution is 24-30 days. Much shorter under alkaline conditions.

I guess you could keep solution around a couple of weeks. It will just be less effective. I would store in a cool place but not freeze as it could break the emulsion.

Reply to
Frank