Question aboutmixture for killing japanese bettles

A guy was telling me to use a mixture of Seven concentrate and Dawn liquid dish soap with water in my sprayer. He said this would take care of the problem if I sprayed every couple of days, and to start spraying on Mother's Day. Do any of you know anything about using this mixture, and does it work? If I go ahead and try it I want to make sure that my fruit trees flowers are done being pollinated. I would be very interested in your opinions. Thanks for your help.

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4035 (20090425) __________

Joe

gardener, great author, but he sure did use a lot of chemicals on his crops.

Have you checked for any organic methods that may help your situation?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

"Joe" wrote in message news:2NEIl.3119$ snipped-for-privacy@flpi145.ffdc.sbc.com...

I don't see the point in mixing soap with Sevin. And be careful with household cleaners, many dishwashing liquids are detergents, not soaps. The preemergent soap will do nothing to control Japanee beetles, the beetles are in the ground, as grubs. And Sevin works well in killing the beetles but there's no point in applying it before the beetles arrive. Don't get all panicky when you first see the beetles eating holes in leaves, Sevin works rapidly and those damaged leaves won't hurt the plant, it'll just look unsightly for a week or two until new leaves grow. Japanse beetles love my lindens and sycamores so I spray those with Sevin... a second application a few days later does the job... the beetles emerge to feed and mate and are entirely gone in ten days even if you do nothing. If you read the label carefully and follow the directions exactly as stated then there is no problem with using Sevin, do not mix the concentrate stronger than stated... mix it a little weaker and it will still work just fine. I've tried the Japanese beetle traps but those are just an exercise in futility... they will lure only a tiny percentage of the beetle population... the local golf courses near here use them because they'd rather remain open for business and they don't want to deal with being sued, they have much too much area to spray, and they know that in ten days the beetles will be gone anyway... the traps when stratigically placed, and plenty are used, they will lure the beetles from the tees and picnic areas... but they kill only a very small percentage... so what if they kill thousands when there are millions and millions.

Reply to
brooklyn1

don't be tempted to "double the strength to kill twice the number" if you resort to using Sevin. a DROP of Dawn detergent works fine in the diluted solution. makes it stick. don't use a lot, because it will burn your plants. I, myself use the highly satisfying method of hand hover, drop into jar of soapy water and drown, I walk to where they're munching away, with a wide mouth quart mason or ball canning jar (wide mouth mayonaise works well, just wash it out first) half filled with soapy water. When you walk to them, walk quietly, hold the jar underneath them (they tend to cluster pluck in great wads of fornication sometimes....their sole purpose is to eat and reproduce as quickly as possible) and place the jar underneath them, hover your hand over them and they think they can fool you.......they drop down and try to fly sideways. This captures about 80% of them and I have the satisfaction of seeing them in the soapy water as I move from area to area gathering more. when your jar is full, you will have to off them, make more soapy water and do it again. I also discovered that in spite of the fact that four o'clocks (mirabelis) are toxic to them, they'll eat the leaves anyway, and it upsets their digestion and kills them. So I gathered them anyway off the 4 o'clock plants as well and offed them too. highly satisfactory!

if you don't have the patience or time to do this Zen like eradication (it's much less harmful to the surrounding environment, and I don't like using the now over used term GREEN...........it's not putting harmful chemicals into the ground to wash down to add to the already toxic solutions that are now drastically affecting our critters. I still haven't found out if we have a bird or small munching animal that loves to eat the beetles or the grub larval. which by the way, you CAN spread Bt on your lawn to eliminate the larval grub of the Jap. beetle. one of the things that brings the hordes of decending skunk to nightly forages is an abundant amount of beetle grubs. they feast on grubs and worms.

living in the inner town where I do, I've not encountered a skunk as of yet, and don't see the usual possom's either, but suspect the local gardeners here are the ones who like to spray without concerns to the ground waters. I can't change the world, I can only maintain my little piece of magic.

my opinions are strictly my own, but my methods are self proven by me over the course of quite a long time.......

madgardener up in the green bowl, gardening in containers in upper northeastern Tennessee, zone 7a, Sunset zone 36

Reply to
madgardener1

don't be tempted to "double the strength to kill twice the number" if you resort to using Sevin. a DROP of Dawn detergent works fine in the diluted solution. makes it stick. don't use a lot, because it will burn your plants. I, myself use the highly satisfying method of hand hover, drop into jar of soapy water and drown, I walk to where they're munching away, with a wide mouth quart mason or ball canning jar (wide mouth mayonaise works well, just wash it out first) half filled with soapy water. When you walk to them, walk quietly,

=============

Why do you have to walk quietly... if all I gotta do to get rid of beetles is stomp about I'd save a lot of effort... I'm usually cussing the little bastids when I have to drag my heavy sprayer and step ladder tree to tree in the heat of summer and never yet saw a beetle fly off the back of the one they're humping. hehe With all those details you added about different kinds of jars etc. to your verbose trilogy I don't believe a word you wrote... you've never seen a Japanese beetle up close and personal... you're paraphrasing something you read.

============

[...]

your good with that?

We have a name for people like that.

Reply to
Billy

I thank you for your replies. Several of you have suggested picking them off by hand. This would be impossible for me to do since I have 8 fruit trees, 3 grape vines and a garden to boot. Even if it were possible to pick off I would fill up a 50 gallon barrel and would be spending several nights and days to do it and the next day the bugs would be right back at it. Some of the environmentalists wackcos out there criticize me for using chemicals. They don't seem to understand any person with half a brain would use insecticides in a responsibly manner. Oh I almost forgot it's BUSH's fault that I get these beetles. Why not blame it on him, they blame everything else on him. Thanks again.

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4035 (20090425) __________

Joe

Yes this will work. I would not think you need to reapply it unless it rains. I hand remove the beetles using a wide mouth jar and 1/2" of warm soapy water. When disturbed most beetles drop straight into the jar and quickly drown. Seven may kill beneficial insects such as ladybugs and spiders so use sparingly. Our J.beetle infestation lasts about 2 weeks, then subsides. What others say, the milky spore application did absolutely nothing, making it a waste of time and money for my gardens.

Reply to
Phisherman

Reply to
Bill

Does that work immediately? That's probably what he wants at the moment.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Immediate gratification sounds childish to me. Why not think of ...forget it.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

OK. But does it work immediately, or does it just mess with the next generation of beetles, or something like that?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

So the bees are your's to kill? I'd give you the benefit of the doubt and gage you at about 1/128th of a brain.

Only 'cause he done it.

"There´s an old saying in Tennessee, I know it´s in Texas, probably in Tennessee, that says: fool me once, shame on.....shame on you, fool me, you can´t get fooled again!".

- Shrub

Reply to
Billy

I did.

Spore Powder Japanese Beetle and Grub Control St. Gabriel Laboratories' Milky Spore is a naturally occurring host specific bacterium (Bacillus popillae-Dutky). This product is lethal to a familiar destructive summer-time pest. It targets and discriminately works to attack the white grubs of Japanese Beetles.

The adult beetle feeds on fruits, flowers, shrubs, garden plants and the foliage of some field crops. At the immature beetle stage, the grub enjoys feeding on the roots of grass and other vegetation to include stems of plants.

Turf inoculation treatments / applications with MILKY SPORE puts in place an on-guard protective blanket on your lawn.Considered the weakest link in the chain and the most vulnerable point to introduce an infection, resident spores in treated turf are swallowed by grubs during their normal pattern of feeding; this starts the demise of healthy grubs. Milky Spore disease then begins to cripple the grub, and within the next 7-21 days will eventually die. As the grub decomposes, it releases billions of new spores.

Milky Spore IS NOT harmful to beneficial insects, birds, bees, pets or man. The product is approved and registered with EPA, Milky Spore will not affect wells, ponds or streams.

The ideal way to combat area infestation is through organized community efforts. Large areas treated with Milky Spore can result in long term control.

Condolences to Kate.

is a cholinesterase inhibitor and is toxic to humans. It is classified as a likely human carcinogen by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA.)[1] It kills various beneficial insect and crustacean species along with intended pest victims, so care must be taken when spraying where beneficial nontarget species are present. Carbaryl is acutely toxic to HONEYBEES (HELLO!), destroying colonies of bees foraging in an area where the chemical has been applied.

But it is made by Bayer, so how bad could it be? VERY.

So this idiot found himself in a position of under-think and now that he is in a hurry, it is "collateral damage" time. That used to be a bad phrase back in the day of Timothy McVeigh.

How very very bush of you.

Reply to
Billy

Why do you hate our troops, you non-patriot?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Not patriotic? Bring our troops home NOW. That's about as patriotic as you can get, Joe. Get them out of that meat grinder. Everyday that we are there just makes things worse.

You doin' tackin' practice on elm stumps now Joe?

What's the etiology of this particular epiphany . . . or have you just gone and lost your mind?

Funny thing, I was signing up on-line with my medical provider yesterday and they asked me some personal questions that they had no reason to know. They see you when your sleeping, they see you when your awake, they see if you've been good or bad, So be good for goodnss sake.

massive Defense Authorization Act of 2007 grants the Pentagon $532.8 billion to include implementation of the new law which furthermore facilitates militarized police round-ups of protesters, so-called illegal aliens, potential terrorists, and other undesirables for detention in facilities already contracted and under construction, (see Censored 2007, Story #14) and transferring from the Pentagon to local police units the latest technology and weaponry designed to suppress dissent.

Of course the fact that 90% of the news we get comes from about a dozen corporations, and the people who sit on their boards include some of the same people who sit on the boards of Northrup, Boeing, Halliburton, and Bechtel might make some reasonable men suspicious.

But this isn't the place for that, we are here to help some nut-case kill the bees in his neighborhood.

Reply to
Billy

Chill out. I know a few morons who think that if you say things like "But it is made by Bayer, so how bad could it be?", you distrust corporations, which means you're un-American, and we all know that if you don't toe the party line, you also hate the troops.

I was razzin' you.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Oh, that's alright, Joe. Turns out I wanted to tell somebody about my experience with Kaiser Permanente. You'd think a hospital would be cutting corners to save money but they got money to burn on buying access to "public records"(whatever that is supposed to mean). I mean I'm nobody, and they feel that they have to know everything about me? What's up with that? Admiral Poindexter may be gone but his snooping on Americans goes on.

Now get your helmet on, and get back in the game ;O)

Reply to
Billy

I'm going to switch sides here and say that perhaps you've never seen pole beans skeletonized in 24 hours by Japanese beetles. Thousands of them. They did the same to my grapes two years ago, but those were on the way out anyway due to deer snacking. I was fortunate enough to have a couple of gallons of hideous onion-hot pepper broth that I'd made. That whacked the beetles nicely, but it was too late for the beans anyway. They never recovered. If I hadn't been away when they began their work, I might've stopped the assault in time. Oh well.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I wish I had the space to plant extras, but it's not an option here. The only place I could put extra beans would be outside the fence. They'd last about 5 minutes due to the deer.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom