Question aboutmixture for killing japanese bettles

When I was in the spraying game we considered using Sevin to protect Monterey pines from borer beetles after pruning, however state regulations required(among other things) that we notify all beekeepers within a five mile radius. We found some other solution

If you do decide to use Sevin read, understand and follow the label.

You really should consult a licensed pest control advisor and hire a licence applicator. Then if something goes wrong you won't be alone in court.

Reply to
Garrapata

first off, the ONLY reason I walked quietly in MY gardens over in the former Faerie Holler where I gardened successfully for well over thirteen years, was when the little bastages sensed or saw me coming, they'd fly off, first by dropping down and then flying sideways. I started walking towards where they were clustered quietly so as not to alert them. That was the only reason. It was also something that allowed me to have a more quiet time out in my nine raised gardens that spanned quite a bit of cubic foot. the front southern bed alone was 50 foot long and four foot wide with extensions to each corner that made MORE beds. I raised four o'clocks that grew in tuber size to larger than footballs. I know THIS because my husband, James bent my new Fiskars spade which is a solid metal shaft on a fiber glass handle trying to dig me a tuber up to take when I lost my house last April. The TOP of the tuber was about ten inches across and the summer previous the plants themselves that I didn't pull out when I saw them emerging (to not crowd the hundreds of perennials and other bulbs and plants and small blooming shrubs) grew to past the front gutters. About six feet or more. I had three kinds of 4's. The old fashioned magenta ones, and yellow splashed with red, and a solid lemon yellow one.

As for " With all those details you added about different

I AM long winded. Those who KNOW me from my writings over the course of t= he last 14 years here on wreck gardens (I am one of the first visitors who = has made friends and traded plants, seeds, tubers, roots and such over the = span of over a decade since 1998 when I first discovered newsgroups on gard= ening, and if you doubt THAT, ask anyone who knows of me......or search the= archives. I AM long winded, or "verbose" as you so adequately said it. LOL

It's your choice to believe me or not. I know what I spoke to you about, because I have practiced exactly the very thing I said to you. the various kinds of containers? I use what is handy. A wide mouth jar works best for capturing many at a time. And knowing that you have TREES means you CAN'T just pick them off. I only meant on things closer to your hand reach. To hand pick them would drive you bugnuts.........and be impossible.

As for not seeing a Japanese beetle up close and personal, you're wrong. They come earlier than June bugs (which in Tennessee for whatever reason seem to come in the first part of JULY) and are the same color in body and wings as their larger beetles, but much smaller. THey are irredescent green and blueish. They have black legs, and I don't need to PROVE to you that I have had many years of encounters with them. I wrote about my personal experience with them on this newsgroup years ago, and started to calling them the decending hordes of Japs......research this if you doubt me. Or ask Victoria, or Billy, or Gardengal, or anyone else who knows of me and my writings and rambles. I tend to write like I talk............and talk like I write. and if I DO paraphrase something I've read, or researched specifically to answer a gardening question that I'm not 100% sure of, I make damn sure I say that I am quoting something written by someone else. I am a master gardener from UT in Knoxville, but I don't wear it like a badge, because I am still learning. I will continue to learn about gardening and bugs and pests and beneficials and everything horticultural until the day I am myself composting.

I have given you the benefit of my experience and age (56 isn't old for a tree, just old enough if I were a walnut to produce nuts.....LOL) and if you doubt me, it's your perogative. I wish you all the luck in erradicating your Japs.

madgardener gardening in containers in the green bowl in upper Northeastern Tennessee, zone 7a, Sunset zone 36 until I have my own home again one day.

Reply to
madgardener1