Low carb, high fat cute garden plants?

Page 1 of 4  
I am on a low carb high fat "paleo diet". In the front yard, we have a concrete retaining wall that is a boundary of our land. Beyond the retaining wall, 3 feet lower, is a public sidewalk. I rented a monster tiller recently, and tilled a 24" strip of land immediately adjacent to the retaining wall. (did a lot of other tilling to plant a lawn elsewhere).
My desire is to plant some pretty, high fat, low carb, edible plants that are not grains.
I live in Zone 5 (N Illinois).
One plant that I can think of is sunflowers. Maybe I will throw some corn into it, for looks and for other members of my family, but I am looking for other suggestions.
Thanks!
i
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Veggies and such that you can grow like that usually aren't high fat.. spinach is great if you like it and is usually easy to grow..
Teeb

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Spinach requires a lot of watering, I think, but you made a good point.
Maybe I will also plant some peppers there also.
i

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
I live smack in the middle of the desert in the southwest US.. I had spinach in my garden very early this past spring.. it's a great cool weather plant. I didn't water it any more than my other veggies, which is about every other day when I walk around with the hose.. I currently still have tomatoes, several kinds of chiles, cucumbers and planted my fall crop of spinach just last weekend. Also have tons of various herbs. Cooler weather can usually help deal somewhat with watering issues.
Teeb

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Besides avocado or nut trees... very few plants bear high fat edibles.
Since it's already Fall... you have all winter to peruse the garden catalogs (a fun thing) and decide what to plant come spring.
Jennifer
Ignoramus2437 wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

That's a foolish diet, you may lose weight for a while, but you may also die from clogged arteries, cancer, stroke, heart attack, etc., before the next year is up.
Low carb diet is nothing but a scam.
Bill
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Bill, I am not looking to lose weight. I lost weight last year and kept it off, by eating a moderate carb diet, plenty of meat, eggs etc, about 25% of calories from carbs, calorie controlled.
I switched to low carb diet this year to make weight maintenance easier.

Alright, anyhow, if we set this issue aside, do you have any garden suggestions in response to my question that Iposted oroginally?
i
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Ignoramus2437 wrote:

This is why it's not good net-iquette to cross post.
People in the garden group will have opinions about your food choices.
Better to post it twice individually.
Jennifer
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

it is, in fact, proper netiquette to crosspost if the original post is relevant to more than one group.

like they aren't going to have an opinion on it if he posts it individually?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Jars wrote:

And we might, in fact, share our collective knowledge with the garden people, as they would do same for us.
i
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Peanuts? :)
Bill
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Bill wrote:
| That's a foolish diet, you may lose weight for a while, but you may | also die from clogged arteries, cancer, stroke, heart attack, etc., | before the next year is up. | | Low carb diet is nothing but a scam. | | Bill
Please cite the research to back up your claims.
Oh that;s right, you can't -- because it's purely fiction!
LMAO!
--
Peter
Before/Current Pix:
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/lcd.html
There is plenty of research to back up my claim, problem is that fat people won't believe it. Being fat is being lazy and being lazy means that you are looking for a panacea.
You can lose weight with any diet, but to lose weight with high fat, low carbs permanently, you have to die, and die you will, as Dr. Atkins did at 258 lbs with conditions arising from his cardiomyopathy, a lack of blood flow.
The Bottom Line Although short-range studies have found that low-carbohydrate diets can produce weight loss, no study has demonstrated that such diets are safe or effective for long-term use [11-14,22,23]. Atkins advocated his diet for more than 30 years and stated that more than 60,000 patients treated at his center had used his diet as their primary protocol. However, he never published any study in which people who used his program were monitored over a period of several years. The recent popularity of low-carbohydrate diets has encouraged food companies to market low-carbohydrate foods for people who want to "watch their carbs." Most of these foods are much higher in fat than the foods they are designed to replace. I believe that "low-carb" advertising is encouraging both dieters and nondieters to eat high-fat foods, which is exactly the opposite of what medical and nutrition authorities have been urging for decades. Following a low-carbohydrate diet under medical supervision may make sense for some people, but a population-wide increase in fat consumption is a recipe for disaster.
For Additional Information a.. American Heart Association Statement on High Protein Diets b.. atkinsfacts.org: Archive of documents about the Atkins diet

The joke is on you fat boy! LOL
Bill

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Bill wrote:

That explains it Bill! Thanks for the info.
I ate a low carb peanut butter sandwich last year and I immediately died from clogged arteries, cancer, stroke, heart attack etc., just as you said. Luckily I had my reincarnation insurance paid up, wasn't it?
You are a very useful guy to have around Bill. Your in-depth knowledge and incredible insight into scams and human nutrition is something that can only be admired.
I guess that avocados are poison eh Bill? What with the high fat, low carbs. Maybe they are Saddam's secret weapons of mass destruction? They are a sort of drab military green after all. Do you think that someone should whisper into Bush's ear?
What do you suggest as a good diet Bill?
It is obvious that you personally are thriving amazingly well on BS, but for those of us with a little more taste and discernment, coupled with a lack of access to fresh bovine created food sources, what would be a good thing?
Regards
David
--

To reply, please include the letters DNF anywhere in the subject line.

All other mail is automatically deleted.
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Hi Dave:
A fool you are! LOL
I have no problem with you believing in a high fat, low carb diet, I find the planet overpopulated with fatso's anyway. The nutrition committee of the American Heart Association has issued a science advisory warning that high-protein diets have not been proven effective and pose health risks. The report covered the Atkins, Zone, Protein Power, Sugar Busters, and Stillman diets. The committee stated:
a.. Such diets may produce short-term weight loss through dehydration. b.. Weight loss may also occur through caloric restriction resulting from the fact that the diets are relatively unpalatable. c.. The high fat content may be harmful to the cardiovascular system in the long run. d.. Any improvement in blood cholesterol levels and insulin management would be due to weight loss, not the change in composition. e.. A very high-protein diet is especially risky for patients with diabetes because it can speed the progression of diabetic kidney disease [8]. http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/lcd.html
Bill

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Bill, do you realize how hysterically funny your post is?!
Bill wrote: | | a.. Such diets may produce short-term weight loss through | dehydration.
Geez, I've lost 55 pounds of water so far! LMAO!
b.. Weight loss may also occur through caloric | restriction resulting from the fact that the diets are relatively | unpalatable.
Yup, bacon,eggs, cheese, steaks, and vegetables are so much more unpalatable that dry toast and rice cakes! *wiping eyes* Stop! My sides hurt too much from laughing!
c.. The high fat content may be harmful to the | cardiovascular system in the long run.
Heeheeheeheheehee. My total cholesterol dropped from 232 to 187, blood pressure to 120/70, and tricglycerides from 635 to 217 on Atkins. Which is supposed to hurt my CV systemmore: the lower blood pressure, the low ercholesterol or the lower triglycerides>?? ROFLMAO!
| d.. Any improvement in blood cholesterol levels and insulin | management would be due to weight loss, not the change in composition.
Um, isn't that the point?
| e.. A very high-protein diet is especially risky for patients with | diabetes because it can speed the progression of diabetic kidney | disease [8].
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Good one! Let's see, I have to take no medication for my T2 diabetes because its';s controlled completely with my low-carb diet. My blood glucose is consistently normal. High blood sugars cause kidney disease. Guess you lose this one too!
| http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/lcd.html
You're the quack. Get educated.
Oh wait. My guess is that you're either PETA or PCRM, both with a vested interest in not wanting people to eat meat. Bet that doesn't slant your point of view, does it?
In a way I feel sorry for you, because you are so misinformed and stupid enough to promote the tired old Lies that no one listens to any more. Maybe you could switch careers and find some nice snake oil to sell?
|-- Peter Before/Current Pix: http://users.thelink.net/marengo/weightlosspix/weightlosspix.html
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Yeah, but geez, how much bacon and eggs and steak can you eat? At least throw some fish and chicken in there. I have red meat once a week and that's plenty fine.

Funny, but there are plenty of people from around the world that eat diets high in carbohydrates that are not fat and have high life expectancies. It's not the carbs killing you, it's the amount of calories you eat. Eat less and you lose weight. Simple equation.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
FDR wrote:
|| ||| Bill, do you realize how hysterically funny your post is?! ||| ||| Bill wrote: |||| |||| a.. Such diets may produce short-term weight loss through |||| dehydration. ||| ||| Geez, I've lost 55 pounds of water so far! LMAO! ||| ||| b.. Weight loss may also occur through caloric |||| restriction resulting from the fact that the diets are relatively |||| unpalatable. ||| ||| Yup, bacon,eggs, cheese, steaks, and vegetables are so much more ||| unpalatable || || Yeah, but geez, how much bacon and eggs and steak can you eat? At || least throw some fish and chicken in there. I have red meat once a || week and that's plenty fine.
I rarely eat bacon and steak and certainly eat less red meat than you and I've been LCing for 3 years.
|| ||| that dry toast and rice cakes! ||| *wiping eyes* Stop! My sides hurt too much from laughing! || || Funny, but there are plenty of people from around the world that eat || diets high in carbohydrates that are not fat and have high life || expectancies. It's not the carbs killing you, it's the amount of || calories you eat. Eat less and you lose weight. Simple equation.
That is exactly what LC allows most people to do, eat less and lose weight. Many people who eat diets high in carbs have BG swings that stimulate appetite. Many of those people are very overweight and will stay that way if the continue on a high carb diet.
Simple equations are all that folks with simple minds can handle. The real world is often not so simple.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I see that reading comprehension is not one of your strong points.
Binge on donuts, cake, sweets and saturated fats, you get fat and die early.
Eat a balanced diet rich in carbohydrates, and good fats, live well.

And you prove your point, as you are simple and fell for a fad diet that will kill you, no old age for you. :)
Bill
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Don't feel sorry for me, you are the dumbass, trying to make valid research seem like a joke, because you fell for the scam.
I did look at your pictures, the weight loose is awesome, but you can do that on a balanced diet without putting your health at risk.
BTW who is that cow behind you in the first picture? LOL
Bill
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.