Garlic and seed

I grew garlic this year for the first time and I didn't remove the scapes. The plants are just about mature and ready to be dug up (leaves yellowing and dying). At the top of the plants are big bulbs within what appears to be a seeds. Is that the right assumption? What can I do with this seed? I know that one usually plants with the bulb cloves. How would I plant with these? Would it take much longer to grow?

Thanks

ob

Reply to
FDR

They're called "bulbils," and you can plant them in the fall as you would the cloves. Usually, the first year you'll get a "round" that looks like a small onion. Re-planting this will get you a regular garlic bulb the next year. Good way to eliminate soil-borne diseases if these are a worry. Very small bulbils take longer to get to full-sized garlic.

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at

Gary Woods