Compost materials?

I notice many people use newspapers as composting material. Is there any danger from the various chemicals in the ink or are newspapers using soy based inks? Also I generate a lot of fine wood shavings and sawdust in my wood working shop. Are these products suitable for the compost pile and would they count as "brown"?

Reply to
Allan Matthews

According to the Humanure Handbook, sawdust is a prime composting material, as are newspapers IF they are using soy based inks (only the black and white papers, never color, contact your local newspaper to determine what type of inks they use). The sawdust is suitable as long as it does not come from pressure treated lumber (which unfortunately it probubly does unless you know for sure you are NOT using pressure treated wood). The pressure treated wood contains toxic chemicals used as preservatives for the wood, which will not break down in the compost, and could end up in your food and/or groundwater...

Reply to
Mike Stevenson

The other problem I have had with FINE dust, like from a sander collection bag, is that you need to not put it on there in big lumps. they just turn anaerobic at get nasty and slimy. I usually tried to sprinkle them in along with the layers of manure, and sort of scratch them in with a rake or fork or something to break them up.

And, they are right. watch out for the preserved stuff. Some have some pretty nasty organic poisons in there like Penta, others use metal salts, and in a lot of cases even arsenic.

Reply to
Bpyboy