Algae as compost/fertilizer

A lake very near my house becomes overgrown with algae every year. I believe this is due to (1) the sewage stations that dumps into the lake and (2) fertilizer runoff from the golf course that runs parallel to the lake.

My question is- Can the algae from that lake safely be used for compost or mulch? I think I heard somewhere that algae could posses high levels of metals, is this true?

Thanks David B

Reply to
David Bunch

If you are near a University, the bio class may love to test it for you...

Reply to
Ross

Reply to
Steve Peek

Guess I'm in luck, I'm a biology student at the second biggest University in the state :)

Reply to
David Bunch

and golf course runoff mixed with sewage? that sounds like a recipe for disaster. perhaps you could use it on a crop you aren't going to eat? maybe feed the trees with it?

Reply to
Bpyboy