uPVC window gap

Hi

we have some old windows (around 25 years)

they are 50/50 with bottom opening hinge across the 50/50 split. now there is a gap when closed at the top around 5mm and each side tapers off at the bottom.

is there any adjustments that i can make? the window company are not going to be asked back to look at them as we were not 100% happy first time around.

Mark

Reply to
Mark D. Smith

Sounds like wear on the locating wedge at the top of the hinge on each side. With the window open have a look at the end of the hinge nearest the edge of the opener. They are normally an off set wedge shape and as the opener moves to closing position, this wedge mates with a similar shaped aperture on the frame hinnge to pull the top into the frame as it finally closes. With age both parts wear and result in what you describe. A new set of hinges would do the trick.

Reply to
Frosty

Hi

any idea where i can get these?

Mark

Reply to
Mark D. Smith

Have a look at

You want "top hung" friction hinge. Open your window and measure the total length and get the nearest to it. £3 to £8 a pair dependant on length. Don't expect the screw holes to align, you'll probably have to drill new pilot holes. Also get someone to help support the opener. good look.

Reply to
Frosty