Recessing downlights in diy shelving

There's not much diy I'll tackle but I seem to have developed a fetish for making ledge type shelving out of all my old bits of wood - finished off all nicely with plasterboard so they look like 'ledges'

Q. I'm wanting to recess downlights from most of them. I've used transformer type halogen cabinet fittings before but don't find they last very long. I notice that full wattage mains halos are looking good for the job but the depth they require is just a tad too deep for the shelves I've made. I've looked everywhere (on-line) for a fitting that would go comfortably (and safely) into the shelving unit (max

70mm) but all the recessed 50 watt mains halos available out there seem to need 100mm.

Any ideas? I'd prefer to use mains halos now if possible.

cheers in advance, tophy

Reply to
tophy

It is impossible to design a 70mm deep mains voltage GU10 or G9 halogen fitting because of depth required in the regulations for heat dissipation and wiring safety.

So it looks like you are stuck with a 12v halogen or an LED fitting.

Regards - Jack

Stopbox Lighting -

stopbox

Fair enough - makes sense. Thanks for getting back to me on that Jack. LED's are a new thing to me so I'll have to find out more about them.

cheers,

tophy

Reply to
tophy

Hi

Just spotted this tread. Jack is correct in that the 240 volt downlighters need such clearance (as do the 50W 12 volt lights)

has plenty of LED lighting

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth