Tiling a New Stud Partition Wall

Hi, I have just put up a stud partition wall and am after some advice before tiling. It is my intention to tile directly to the plasterboard. Is it good practice to still tape the joints even though it isn't going to have a plaster skim coat? Should I prime the plasterboard with anything before applying my tile adhesive? My gut feeling is I don't need to do anything but thought it wise to seek advice before proceeding

TIA

Reply to
IED

"It is feasible to tile directly to a plasterboard substrate as long as the following criteria are met. Plasterboard should be a minimum of 12.5mm thick and should be securely screw fixed, preferably at 300mm centres maximum, to a seasoned timber framework incorporating stiffening noggins where necessary. The board junctions should be fully supported and then taped and filled using the tile adhesive. The weight of tiling to a plasterboard background should not exceed 32kg/m2. The plasterboard substrate must be capable of supporting the rigid ceramic wall tile without any undue deflection. At all times the plasterboard and tile adhesive manufacturers recommendations should be followed. The type of adhesive to use would depend upon the type of tile that was to be fixed and the area that it was to be fixed to. If for instance it were a glazed biscuit bodied wall tile in a shower area, then new tiles may be fixed in a 3mm solid bed (i.e. ensuring no voids are left beneath the tiles). Where tiles are to be fixed in shower areas to plasterboard, some consideration should be given to applying a tanking membrane to protect the underlying gypsum substrate, this would depend upon the degree of use, type of shower etc. Please note that any change of material, substrate or service conditions will alter this specification. For more information please contact the Tile Association on

020 8663 0946".

Isn't Google wonderful?..........

Bob H

Reply to
Bob Hill

Thanks Bob, from your answer it looks like I should tape the joints. Can I use the self adhesive type tape? All the other criteria has been met i.e. 12.5mm, 300mm centres, supported board junctions etc etc... Where the shower is I've used aqua panel so that wont be problematic.

Ian

Reply to
IED

And don't forget our old friends Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V :-)

Reply to
gavin

I taped the joints when I did mine because I had a roll of tape for the ceiling. Doesn't do any harm and it's quick to apply and gives a warm feeling of a job well done.

Reply to
Bob Hill

Thanks Bob, I have a spare roll of tape left from a ceiling project as well!!! Funny how these things accumulate

Ian

Reply to
IED