gas cooker - PCB gone?

Our gas cooker has a fault - both grill and oven burners light, and the clock/timer works as well, but the cooling fan doesn't blow. It just turns VERY slowly. I took the fan out and connected it directly to mains power, and it worked. Is the problem therefore in the PCB which controls this fan? Is there anything else it could be? Any tips for testing/diagnosing this fault?

Also, as usual, a rant about Tradesmen!!!! This time, the CORGI registered "All Makes of Cooker Repaired" man won't look at the job because the fault is electrical. The electrician (surprise surprise) won't even take the back off the cooker as he's not CORGIed, even though I want him to check a circuit and a motor. Hence the last resort of DIY.

Thanks,

Duncan

Reply to
Duncan

You have probably isolated the fault but the only way of knowing for sure is to use a test meter to track down the faulty part(s) on the PCB, or swap out the suspect PCB with a known working one. To use a test meter you need a good knowledge of electronics plus a good knowledge of the PCB.

The cooker manufacturer presumably has a network of service technicians. If so, they will have the parts and expertise necessary to do a repair, which is an alternative to DIY, a cooker repair person or an electrician.

Reply to
DIY

Just a small point, but was the fan in the same orientation, when you tried it, as it is when in the cooker?

It could be nothing more than failed bearings on the fan, so the rotor touches the stator(or frame) when running in situ. That would be enough to make it run slowly. Running in a different orientation will not put the same loading on the bearings and could result in operation that looks fine.

-- Sue

Reply to
Palindrome

Reply to
nobby

Just as a matter of interest do you really need to be Corgi registered to repair the electrical parts of a gas cooker?

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

Methinks probably not!

Anyway, we tracked down the manufacturer and their repairer did the job - replaced the PCB.

Thanks for all the useful replies

Duncan

Reply to
Duncan