Gas oven fault.

4 weeks ago we bought the daughter in law a new oven to tide them over in their new house until they had the kitchen refitted. Anyway, we found out yesterday that it had been faulty from day one, but they hadnt told us. I went to have a look today, and sure enough, the gas oven (and grill) will light ok, but will not stay lit. To me, this points to a thermocouple failure. What is puzzling is that both the oven and grill burners will not stay lit.

In these basic ovens (NewWorld G50S), are those 2 thermocouples connected, or could it be possible that both have failed at the same time? Or, could it be the gas valve that is at fault?

The 4 hob burners work fine.

Thanks for any thoughts Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

My dealings with thermocouples in gas boilers suggest that whilst the thermocouple generates very little voltage, there is a quite considerable current flowing when they are hot to operate the coils in the gas valve. So is it possible that your thermocouples have a high resistance connection back to the gas valve?

Because of the high current flowing when thermocouples are working properly, it is possible to measure 10s of millivolts drop along the copper jacket of the lead at a couple of points say a foot apart.

I have never worked on a gas hob, but the above might be useful?

Good Luck

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Just to check - how long are you holding the gas knob in after lighting the grill/oven. Some can take an awfully long time before the thermocouple has warmed up enough to allow the gas to flow when you release the knob. How long after releasing the knob does the light stay lit?

Reply to
David WE Roberts

A long time held in, then it goes out immediately. Apparently it was working on and off when first fitted, but started getting worse, and now will not stay lit at all. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Sale of goods act - take it back :-)

Reply to
David WE Roberts

I know this is uk.d-i-y but if the oven is only 4 weeks old, why don't you contact the place you bought it and ask them what they are going to do about it!?

If you haven't got the receipt, but bought it with a credit card, this should suffice as proof of purchase, despite what the shop may tell you.

Reply to
Toby

...and if there is no joy from the store, then contact NewWorld directly and use the 12 month guarantee they provide

Toby

Well, yes, I know that, but if I could pick up a new thermocouple tomorrow, it'd save having to wait until the shop sorts out a repair, but I'd rather not go and buy one if it is likely to be another fault, so that's why i asked here. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

If you start tinkering you could impair your claim for a repair or replacement if there is a more serious fault.

Reply to
David WE Roberts