Cable clip spacing

Hi,

The cable run for a new socket I'm putting in is through the cellar (on the side/underside of the joists, etc) .

Is there a minimum spacing for cable clips on this sort of (overhead) run? (2.5mm T&E) The cellar is only used for storage.

Reply to
ktype

You possibly mean, "Is there a *maximum* spacing?" To which the answer is "no" - if the cable is adequately supported without them. eg in a trunking.

The /usual/ spacing is, AFAIK, the length of your hammer. That makes it quick and easy to give a neat, equal-spaced appearance. The spacing will decrease, a lot, when obstacles and change in direction are encountered.

The aim, other than looking good, is not to leave any significant gaps between cable and mounting surface, that could allow things being carried past to catch on the cable and pull on it. Plus not to leave the cable enough room to move enough to eventually lead to the cable failing mechanically.

Reply to
Palindrome

You mean maximum surely, i.e. how *few* clips can you use to conform with regulations.

I'd go for one clip every 30cm/12" or so.

I think the regulations will just say "good practice" or something like that, i.e. sufficient clips to ensure the cable doesn't droop and isn't likely to be damaged given the environment.

Reply to
tinnews

Thanks for your replies (and correcting my original error!)

They are very helpful.

My question was prompted by the large number of closely spaced clips I noted on the existing installation, as re-wired by the LEB many years ago.

I will complete the job today with an appropriate number of clips.

Thanks again,

Terry

Reply to
ktype

For cable with largest diameter on major axis, exceeding 9 mm and not exceeding 15mm - 300mm horizontal and 400 vertical. Pity you've already done it!

Regards

Reply to
John McLean

The only vertical section is less than 400mm and has a clip in the centre; I used the 320mm (12 1/2") hammer as a guide for the horizontal sections but, in practice, the spacing was slightly less so should equate to ~300mm.

I don't think it's worth another trip down to the cellar to check (and I'm not interested enough to use my hair to find out if there are any cobwebs I missed yesterday!)

Thanks again,

Terry

Reply to
ktype