Central Heating Header Tank

Just woke up to a leak in the bathroom ceiling not what you want over the Holiday. The Header Tank in the loft for the Central Heating is the culprit and I have located the source. The problem I have appears to be with the Expansion pipe from the cylinder in the bathroom cupboard. When the Temperature of the water falls and it calls for the boiler to fire up the expansion pipe starts to empty water into the header tank. The water temperature is not excessive and by no means to hot. My system is the standard type with main tank in loft and header tank for heating. Why is the hot water rising in to the header tank from the hot water cylinder ? which is about five years old.

Any help appreciated no plumbers Polish or otherwise available over the Holiday. JD

Reply to
r3duf

Well, something sounds although it is too hot. The expansion pipe is doing it's job. Are you sure the cylinder stat is not stuck or faulty?

ken

Reply to
Ken

You seem to be implying that the expansion pipe from the hot water cylinder discharges into the boiler feed/expansion tank (the smaller of the two tanks). Is this correct?

Reply to
John G

I have spoken to a plumber who advised to turn the pump down if possible and to try to elevate the expansion pipe higher. Evidently this is not unique to me. Will post when I have tried the advice. Thanks JD

Reply to
r3duf

Looks to me as if your CH header tank was fitted by a cowboy. It should have an overflow.

| >> Any help appreciated no plumbers Polish or otherwise available over the | >> Holiday. | >> JD | >>

| > You seem to be implying that the expansion pipe from the hot water | > cylinder | > discharges into the boiler feed/expansion tank (the smaller of the two | > tanks). | > Is this correct? | >

| >Yes, | I have spoken to a plumber who advised to turn the pump down if possible and | to try to elevate the expansion pipe higher. | Evidently this is not unique to me. | Will post when I have tried the advice. | Thanks | JD | |

Reply to
Stickems.

I have followed advice and turned the pump down ,elevated the expansion pipe slightly and had some success in stopping the discharge into the header, as previously stated this appears to be not uncommon, maybe a plumber will respond with the technical reasons. Thanks for your replies JD

Reply to
r3duf

Well, I'm not a plumber, but I had the same problem, it's called pumping over, and in my case it was caused by the vent pipe curling right over the edge of the tank. I cured it (on the advice of a plumber) by taking it about

18" above the tank before curling over. This increases the pressure on the column of water to make sure that it stays in the system, but still allows it to expand. It can also be caused by the pump setting being too high.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

I am still mystified at what you are saying, perhaps I did not make my previous question clear.

Do you mean that you have traced the route of the cylinder vent pipe and find that the open end goes into the small header tank and not into the larger cold water storage tank?

Reply to
John G

There are two vent pipes one into the cold water tank and one into the central heating header tank. You could not vent hot water into the cold water system. Although I am sure a plumber would give you a better explaination. Somewhere on the web there must be a schematic drawing showing the layout. JD

Reply to
r3duf

I think I am catching up with you now JD.

The vent from the cylinder does indeed go to the cold water storage tank and expanded water would normally discharge into that tank and that tank only. If you trace the route of that pipe from the cylinder you will find this to be true.

The discharge you describe is coming up from the boiler vent. Pump over is not rare but is usually not noticed because the water is recirculated. I suspect that you have a faulty ball valve that is letting too much water into the system. Hold up the ball and empty out some water until the valve is clear of the water and see if it is still dripping. You should also sort out the overflow for this tank.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
John G

Sorry, I misread your 1st post. You said header tank. You have a cold water cistern and a header tank. The header tank is for the heating or boiler to top up. The cold water cistern is to supply the hot water cylinder and for the vent pipe from the same.

ken

Reply to
Ken

After reading Ken's last post I wonder if I still understand the source of your problem.

Is the small tank or the large tank overflowing?

Reply to
John G

Both tanks are fitted with overflows and function as and when required. (See Shazzbats reply) Thanks for the help and interest to all that replied JD

Reply to
r3duf

Reply to
Paul Saunders