What's the name of this raised thingie?

Page 2 of 2

Lantern is a reasonable label more later. TB

Yeah, and you're on crack, obviously. Too big. Is actual walls and stuff. Cupolas are just little lanterny bits that perch on a roof or the top of a dome. Harumph.

So is a lack of oxygen in the blood stream.
Lantern A small structure on top of a dome or in similar situation for the purpose of admitting light, promoting ventilation, or for ornament. It usually signifies a tower which has the whole height or a considerable portion ot the interior, open to view from the ground and is lighted by an upper tier of windows. A lantern-tower.
TB
I read - 'cupola' 1.bowl shaped vault [?!] 2. soffit of dome 3. small dome on a lantern/belvedere etc. 'clerestory' 1.upper wall on a collonade, higher than adjacent roof,with windows.
so a latern's roof may be a cupola...
hmmf ... just when I thought this archi.dictionary would remain a paper-weight...
-- R'zenboom Signal.ds

Well, that got me more answers than I could have hoped for! :)
GIS shows a whole lot more square clerestories than square cupolas, but shows both of them in round and square versions. That tells me that, while the dictionary doesn't nail them down, common usage goes in both directions, and I can get my message across.
I think the reason that I drew it the way I did is that I grew up in the Southwest, where the only real architecture was pueblo-inspired adobe and stucco. I wasn't consciously thinking of it at the time, but I'm sure that's where that comes from.
I'm toying with building an outbuilding studio thing in my large, unused back yard, and the L shape above is particularly suited to it. I was trying to think of some things to do with it to make it less dull and boxy, which is where the clerestory came in. I have a 45' square plot separated by a wall of trees from my real back yard to play with, so I'm having a lot of fun dreaming up stuff. :)
Also, thanks particularly to Michael for giving the alternate spelling, or else I would have gone the rest of my life--seeing how it's used commonly in churches and all--pronouncing it "cluh RESS' tuh ree'!"
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in
[ ... ]

Hey, that does sound like fun. Do you have a 3D prog. you can do it up in? If not, and if you can wait until end of July, email me privately if you're interested in a freebie 3D workup. ((End of july is because I'm moving mid-month, and there is always that post-move mania...)) I'm having "modeler's block" recently (prob. stress :o ) and new input is usually invigorating ;)
--
- Kris M. Krieger