What's the name of this type of fence?

I am in the process of submitting an retrospective application for a garden fence, and just noticed that I don't actually know what type it is (required to specify on the form).

Photos are here:

?pic=6ccrcevAny idea anyone?

Reply to
JoeJoe

P.S: it is basically 150mm slants (180cm high) butted against each other with a very slight overlap. The difference in height in the photo is due to the slop of the garden.

Reply to
JoeJoe

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 18:00:42 +0100 someone who may be "JoeJoe" wrote this:-

Does a fence 1.8m high require planning permission? Which country is it in?

Reply to
David Hansen

Feather edged wooden fence.Vertical if that needs to be stated. No planning prmission is usually needed for wooden fences, unless there are certain covenants or restrictions in the area you live. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Looks like feather edge boards to me.

Reply to
dennis

Same country as you.... ;-) Just a little bit to the west.

Planning permission is apparently required if the fence in question is less than 20m from a public road. Something to do with the potential obstraction of view for cars travelling on the road.

I would't bother really, as I suspect that most people never do, but mine is some 50m long, and runs along two itersecting roads. With the plans to sell and move away in the next couple of years we thought that it could save us the hastle should a clever solicitor starts to ask questions.

Reply to
JoeJoe

Thanks a lot! Half an hour on google and I was non the wiser...

Reply to
JoeJoe

?

Our house is more than 2m high and less than 20m from a public road ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

supply most of the usual suppliers

-- regards

Reply to
Urban Legend

And probably had planning permission obtained when it was built, or whatever the equivalent was at the time.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

It is just pressure treated wedge section. If you go to a timber mill you can get it dirt cheap. If you buy it in quantity you can specify the section. If you get it from B&Q or such remember to allow for crappy bits you don't want to use.

Use sheradised nails. They are the first bits to fail and timber draws moisture to the nails in it.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

No it isn't. A fence needs planning permission if it is over 1m high and *adjacent* to a road. It sounds like someone in the planning dept has decided that "adjacent" = "less than 20m" but the planning law isn't that precise.

See here :

2, class A:

Cheers,

John

Reply to
John Anderton

Probably Ye Olde Royal Charter.

Reply to
EricP

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 19:55:58 +0100 someone who may be "Mary Fisher" wrote this:-

You live in a different country to me.

Reply to
David Hansen

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 18:45:52 +0100 someone who may be "JoeJoe" wrote this:-

Then the relevant documents are available on ISTR the Scottish Executive web site. They are not that easy to find though. It would take me some time rummaging through paperwork to find out their names and now is not the time for me to try it. However, if you have not found them by tomorrow I could take a look.

20m from a public road rings a bell, but my recollection is that the structure must be over something like 2m high. It might even be over 1.8m high.
Reply to
David Hansen

Not really. You just think that you do...

There's railway lines and the M6 nowadays and the Romans now sell deep fried pizza rather than policing Hadrian's Wall. Eventually, they'll come along with rucola for you to try.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Could be a while. At present, seems to be that the Polish are the latest invaiders! :) And I have to say, that from what I've seen, the invasion is positive to all!

Reply to
clot

Would really appreciate it if you could put me in their direction. Spent a good hour on the website with no luck...

Reply to
JoeJoe

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 23:15:26 +0100 someone who may be Andy Hall wrote this:-

Incorrect. The Treaty of Union did not create one country from two.

There have been roads between the two countries for a very long time. That proves nothing.

Reply to
David Hansen

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 00:07:03 +0100 someone who may be "JoeJoe" wrote this:-

Last year such things were being determined by reference to SI 223 of 1992

fence would presumably come under Class 7 (Schedule 1 Part 2).

Reply to
David Hansen