Henry is out of breath

Our Henry vacuum cleaner is not sucking properly. There seems to be something wrong with the motor. Are there any user-serviceable parts on a Henry motor? For example, the brushes?

I am assuming at the moment that it is either the brushes are worn or one of the motor coils has burnt out. If it's a coil, I am afraid that poor Henry is destined for landfill, but brushes ought to be easy enough to replace (I assume).

The machine still runs, but it doesn't suck properly. I have, of course, checked all the obvious things, like the hose and so on, before asking here.

Reply to
GB

In the worst case, I believe a new motor is still cheaper (and less landfill-generating) than a new Henry.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Best place to buy

The Medway Handyman

Does it make a different sound from before, or does the motor speed fluctuate when the vacuum load isn't changing, or does it generate any sort of hot or burning smell?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

When you say it still runs, is it making the same noise as usual? and no smell of burning insulation? if so, sounds as if the motor is fine unless the impeller has become detached. A blocked filter or hose will make the motor increase in speed a little.

Reply to
Graham

Just stating the obvious but does Henry have any filters and has the baggie been changed recently?

Reply to
Nick

The Henry filter is blindingly obvious, as is the bag. You have to lift the filter out (it's the same diameter as the tub and sits above the bag) to change the bag. But anything's possible!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Well, we actually have 2 Henrys, as it's a tall house. I swapped the top half (containing the motor) and the broken one simply doesn't suck properly. The impeller is firmly attached. The noise it makes is the same as the working one, and there's no burning smell.

I can't see whether there's anything wrong with the brushes, but the motor turns perfectly well by hand, without any clicking noises.

I see that it has been operating for probably a long time without the filter. This may not have done it any good, although I must say that there's no obvious damage.

Unless you guys have any further suggestions, I'm stumped.

Reply to
GB

1 Check the impeller for blockage. Common when used without a filter bag. 2 Is the outlet obstructed at the top of the case. 3 Most parts are available, but usually a replacement motor is the way forward unless the brushes are OK. 4 Numatic are at
and in my experience of having the machines in all shapes and forms from when in the Hire industry the dealers are usually very helpful.

Seems fairly obvious what the problem is, dirt somewhere in the system, probably in the fan. You'll need to dismantle and open up the fan to clean it out, ditto all air paths, and learn why they recommend you use an air filter in future.

NT

Reply to
meow2222