sand paper

Hello,

Bosch say that they sell three types of sand paper: one for wood, one for paint, and one for metal. How are these different? Is one a harder material than the other? I imagine you need a harder grit to sand metal than wood, or is it just marketing: making you buy the same thing three times?

Thanks.

Reply to
nospam

Glass,Metal oxide... ect.

Reply to
George

So you use a softer one for wood than you would for metal? What's to stop you just buying the hardest one and using it for everything? I suppose it would scratch?

What's the best type to use to remove paint? Everyone seems to sell the "red" bosch wood paper but not the "white" paint paper. Is there an appreciable difference?

Thanks.

Reply to
nospam

All pretty useless for removing paint. You might as well clog the cheapest

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Sand is cheapest, but not a very good abrasive. Al oxide is the next cheapest, and widely used. Good for wood and paint. But paint sticks and clogs, so a more open abrasive is used, is with more open space between the grains.

NT

Reply to
meow2222