I Fixed My Dad's Dryer - Helpful Hint

Maybe this will help someone in the future...

My Dad was complaining that his rather old Maytag electric dryer smelled like something was burning whenever he used it.

I pulled the front and top and turned it on. A short time after the heater coils came on, I noticed a burnt smell. I tried a no heat setting and there was no smell, so it didn't appear to be a belt or the motor or anything electrical.

I checked the air flow (really strong), I checked the exhaust hose & vent, etc. and everything was clear.

The one duct I was having trouble checking without taking the entire dryer apart was the flat duct in the back of the unit where the heat actually comes into the drum from the heater coil. There is a 3/4" hole at the top of this duct, but I couldn't shine a light down the hole and see into it at the same time. Shining a light from inside the dryer didn't light up lower half of the duct so I couldn't see the bottom.

Then I said to myself, "Self, the heater coil throws both heat and light. Maybe if I start the heater, it will light up the bottom of the duct enough that I can see if there's anything down there." Sure enough, as soon as the heater came on, I could see some burnt debris at the very bottom of the duct.

I turned off the dryer, found a long thin tube in my Dad's shop and taped it to the end of his vacuum cleaner hose. I stuck the tube into the hole at the top of the duct, fed it down to the bottom and heard the debris get sucked up.

When I turned the dryer back on, the smell was gone.

I don't know if it was bugs or paper or what (I didn't feel like sifting through the vacuum bag) but whatever it was was apparently burning just a little bit more each time the dryer was turned on.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

An example of a well thought out diagnosis and repair. A good model for all of us.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Ingenious!!!

Reply to
hrhofmann

I would go further, in advice: Every few years, turn the whole goddamm thing on its side and/or remove panels, and hand remove/blow out all the accumulated lint. It's AMAZING what accumulates down there, amazing. It really is a fire hazard.

I would also keep dryers in a concrete/cinderblock dedicated laundry room, for this reason. People with dryers in an upstairs bedroom etc are playing with fire. And of course, with the washer, playing with water.

Reply to
Existential Angst

You're a good son :)

Reply to
dadiOH

That's because he's a good dad. :-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Well, that suggests they don't wear clothes very often.

.

I was actually very surprised at how clean the dryer was. Maybe because it's only been the 2 of them for many years, but there was not the accumulation of lint, coins and other debris that I would have expected.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've made the same sort of repairs to dryers but one of them was stinking due to a desiccated charred mouse. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Dryer made in China. Provided with Mouse See Done?

.

I've made the same sort of repairs to dryers but one of them was stinking due to a desiccated charred mouse. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You fool! That was the loot from the robbery your dad and I did 10 years ago. We were just waiting for the statute of limitations to expire.

Reply to
henchman14

Well, you're three years too late. And the $500 bills were burning off the outside of the rolls.

.