The Battle of the groups

Page 4 of 4
On 01 Nov 2007, Michael Bulatovich wrote

Nah; he'd have to be as coherently interesting as the Borg for that to happen...which ain't gonna happen.
--
Cheers, Harvey
Architectural and topographical historian

That's irrelevant. ; )
Michael Bulatovich wrote:

"He _is_ a Borg!"

Yes, it is from census data, well-documented. But people posting here do not believe in the census or much of anything else either, except their own opinions.

That is the old "Hawley" rule. People will put up a 1-hour commute before they start to complain. But the census gives the data for the USA, and it is like 21 minutes, up 1 minute in 10 years.

I'm not talking about anyone else. (Note the consistent use of the first person in my post.)
The second part of what you say is true, of course, but I haven't refuted it. I used *my personal experience* to refute the assertion by George that being close to downtown was "irrelevant" because "jobs are in the burbs", as if the only reason to be downtown is proximity to jobs. That's "not even remotely true" either. I'm downtown by choice. My choice has nothing to do with job locations. Being downtown is highly relevant to me. Therefore the assertion is not true. QED.
The introduction of job locations is a red herring in a discussion about whether the data George presented supports the claims made in George's "review" of a book. You might back up the thread and see what you think.
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca

Except that it is true.
I'm downtown by choice. My choice has nothing to do

The book was speaking about urban patterns as a whole, and your personal opinion is thus not relevant to the patterns.

You could break down and read the book.

Repeating a thing does not make it true, except in the sense of the "Big Lie."

You keep dodging criticism of your statements, by referring back to "the book." My comments were made in relation to *your* "review", and subsequent posts. If you're statement was meant to be about "urban patterns as a whole" then your choice of words did not match your intent, as it was not stated. Perhaps you are using a personal shorthand but it impedes any discussion with others. Saying that being "close to downtown is irrelevant" without any context invites one to infer that it is meant as a universally true statement. I pointed out that it isn't, if only in the case of one individual (me).

I'm fairly busy. If I'm going to read a book on the basis of a "review", I'm afraid it couldn't be this kind of review. It was sloppy, highly polemical and rhetorical and the bias of the author was evident right from the start- more of an op-ed piece, or a sermon, than a review. Its bias contradicted my own position, but I read on and quickly found unsubstantiated claims in it.
I made comments related to that on the group, but have yet to see them addressed, other than some quick and puerile ridicule based on an obvious misreading of my comment or misunderstanding of the data. That is political behavior, not intellectual.
Do you still remember my 2 points? If you want credibility with me then addressing them would be a good start. If, on the other hand, you want to be the champion of the suburbs, knock yourself out, but I'm not really interested in engaging an impenetrable ideology. When I was young I used to find that amusing, but now I don't have time for it.
If the next thing you advocate is the right to personally bear nuclear weapons, and then the abolition of all cities, which, come to think of it, does seem to have a frightening internal cohesion, there's a line forming over there.....behind Don.
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca
george conklin wrote:

I am reminded of our recent discussion of cars, and your stuff about horses falling down and cars not creating sprawl or something like that... ...I guess as long as you try to avoid letting a book-- any book-- you fancy, sidetrack you, or muddle your reading-comprehension or general understanding beyond the book, we should be ok. ;)

Or, you could read the book and break down. ;P

Ah yes, but the poster wants "urban elites" to be near him, as in "The Revanchist City."

Aw, come on, George. Couldn't you have found a way to squeeze in the word "normative," too?
I'm disappointed in you.

The comments were documented by the data supplied. Period.

It seems you did not look at the first one.

Bully for you. It is obvious that you find "urbanity" expensive.

Obviously.

Don. Is that you?

Do you have trouble with the word "second"?

Me and everyone else.

When will you and the Vandals be by? I want to be ready...

Well, you started off on the wrong foot, because today suburbs have MORE poor people in them than the city. Sorry about that.

HAve you looked at the crime stats for both? I think you'd be surprised...
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

You've not been paying attention...
Just go to the "Value of Local Shopping Thread". Been there, done that.

Where'd you think he got the (brilliant) idea?

Sorry. I can't accept the premise, unless you're going to pay me at somewhere between the per diem and expert witness rates, of course ; }
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca