The Battle of the groups

Your ignorance is also exceeded only by our stupidity.

Reply to
George Conklin

That is the old "Hawley" rule. People will put up a 1-hour commute before they start to complain. But the census gives the data for the USA, and it is like 21 minutes, up 1 minute in 10 years.

Reply to
George Conklin

If you, say, knit (for profit) or write (a book to be published/sold), while commuting to your 'other job', does that existentially reduce your commute-times? Do you transcend the graphs, or get your very own statistical differentiations? ;)

Reply to
Warm Worm

Yes, it is from census data, well-documented. But people posting here do not believe in the census or much of anything else either, except their own opinions.

Reply to
George Conklin

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I'll let you plonk me. ;)

Reply to
Warm Worm

What disgusting doubletalk.

Reply to
George Conklin

Cook it as you like, but I'm also being half-double serious...

I mean, if you're already working while commuting, should that not be factored into the statistical analyses? Do some numbers cancel each other out?

...And what about Don-- the ACAD-master-- who, presumably, has to trudge over across the vast wilderness to his office-- completely on the other side of his property-- to practice his Craft?

Sickening, but it is Oct. 31st., afterall.

Reply to
Warm Worm

Something you need to learn about George:

He hates the rich, the poor, horses, pedicab drivers, farmers, and questions.

;-)

Reply to
Amy Blankenship

On 31 Oct 2007, Amy Blankenship wrote

I certainly get the impression that he's not used to having his positions countered with reasoned arguments, which is where all the ad hominem stuff comes from.

Either that or -- more likely -- it's that in his usual circles, he's blustered often and loudly enough that people just don't bother any more -- which he takes as having 'won' the argument.

It's a bit sad, really.

Reply to
HVS

Sure sign of a troll is a shifting profile to evade the black hole of the killfile.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

How did he get to be such an authority then?

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

The census data are facts, not questions.

Reply to
George Conklin

Stating that averages have no meaning is senseless drivel.

Reply to
George Conklin

But they may also be horses in disguise. Run, run, run!!!!

Reply to
Amy Blankenship

Another thing to learn about George. If he says your point is drivel, you've won. If he says it is _senseless_ drivel, he feels like a whipped puppy.

Reply to
Amy Blankenship

Your stupid comments are getting even worse. You cannot get rid of census data by being nasty and stupid, but you try every time.

Reply to
George Conklin

published/sold),

People don't ride horses to work these days, but how would you know that?

Reply to
George Conklin

My comments are not on the census data, but on _you_ and your debating tactics. Since you haven't cited any actual census numbers, there is no reason to comment on census data itself or even to form an opinion on whether those data are right or wrong.

Reply to
Amy Blankenship

They're gaining. Eww...horse breath on your neck!

Reply to
Amy Blankenship

Most people do other things while they commute like listening to news, talk radio, music, use the cell phone, event surf the web.

Most of it is not work related but just time filling to keep from getting too bored.

Commute time measured by the census is strictly the travel time to and from work. As we progress to cars that can largely drive themselves and have wideband Internet connections, there may be a lot more people that are actually working during their commute in a way that a company will accept as real work instead of just filling time.

Working on the way to work is probably a poor substitute for the interactions of the work place for many companies.

Reply to
Jack May