Small Homes: Thoughts?

Page 2 of 2

(the quotes can get so long otehrwise)

I had alink that I lost during the recent Windowes mess; the place was in the woods, a basic rectangle but partially wood siding and partially floor-to-ceiling windows around I guees about half (the half facing the water), but they installed a sort of "mini porch"/"mini-loggi" with wood slats matching the siding. And IIRC, it used mostly recyv\\celd materials - teh wondows had come from an office bldg that was being either replaced or refurbished, plate glass.
I thought that was a really good idea.

Yeah - I just got a few shivers thinking about taking a bath outdoors in Winter; even if the water is hot, you still have to get out... I've gotten out of the warm (89 deg) pool into 62 deg air, and that is *quite* enough for me =:-o
( I used to like Winter, but experienced some sort of instantaneous genetic alteration when I moved to S. California. I really miss the semi-desert...dry hot days, chilly nights, ahhhh.... )

Joke? Or abundant use of Clorox?
Add pictures here
✖

(Amazon.com product link shortened)
Houses large or small can feel cookie-cutter in their approach, it often boils down to the design sensibilities of the architect and client.

Doesn't it become more necessary to use every square inch, rather than waste it?

Not unless you feel the need or desire.

There are too many boring walls and long halls in the world! Give me a shell, not a tomb!

It seems to be a matter of land to building ratio that matters most to me, be it a big castle on the hill or a cottage on the beach. If you cover every square inch of land, what's left? Not an environment I want to be in. Years ago I traveled back to an old haunt on the Pacific Coast - LA area. Over the years, larger and larger building filled the voids of land along the coast, until there was nothing but a sea of concrete....buildings stacked one upon another. Folks were growing topiaries on their tiniest of porches for something that reminded them of a tree. And, while I know New York is probably a fantastic place (I've never been) I prefer to walk out my door and see blue and green.

Again, wouldn't this depend in large part on the value of the land and the design sensibilities of the client?

You like PATATO and I like POTATO :) It may be small, but just what YOU want. Do you want a $1000/month or a $100/month ONGOING utility bill. -OR- do you want X AMOUNT of space, but prefer to be energy self-sufficient?

I like the idea of building within an envelope and not obliterating every inch of land. I don't have a problem with space, as much as I have a problem with individuals not having a responsibility to the environment. Beautiful green spaces are eaten up with reckless abandon, in the name of the almighty buck. I guess I care more about the environment, than the building, and more about having things made of high quality, rather than having tons of junk around.

Itty-bitty to Monolithic? I prefer to live in a castle! But, a small castle will do just fine! :)

Everyone specializes in GREEN, don't ya know? It's called GREEN MARKETING MANIA!
How easy is it to find one who does?
I heard "through the grapevine" that HOME DEPOT thought about setting up a green display. SO, they approached their suppliers, but every one of them had something they felt was "GREEN" about their particular product. It might be better to look for something "sustainable."

As Chris always did, with grace and dignity.

Add pictures here
✖

THere are various problems that can occur if hair goes uncleansed. I forgot what they are, of course, but there is a reason people started washing their hair, even if only by rinsing it out undera waterfall or water pump.
Add pictures here
✖