Second homes. Thoughts?

Many thanks for the useful advise. Did check with my home insurer and no problem leaving it vacant for months. Also, did find the idea of a webcam to monitor the house very interesting. I'll have to research that.

From: "DK" Subject: Re: Sec>This is kinda home repair related.

> > >I'm retiring soon and my wife and I are thinking about becoming snowbirds >in >Nevada to escape these dreadful Wisconsin winters. > >I've given a lot of thought to owning two homes and the details that need >to >be taken care of such as snow plowing, shoveling, mail, junk mail, >security, >plant watering, trusted neighbor, furnace failure/freeze alert etc.On the >other hand, I have no experience on what it takes to close up a desert >property for the summer. > >Just wondering if anyone has practical experience with the snowbird thing? >Thoughts about both, the cold weather and warm weather aspects? > > > >I know when we owned a lake cottage in northern Wisconsin, every tool I >ever >needed was always at the other house! Didn't matter what it was, or which >house we were at, it was always at the other house! That was just 150 >miles >away, now we're contemplating 1,000 miles for 6 months at a time. > > > >Any thoughts or experiences, negative or positive will be appreciated! > >Thanks all,

Sounds fun.

Find a couple of neighbors or three that will do chores for you and pick the best one and reward him/her handsomely for their caretaker duties.

In addition, I'd install a web cam so I could watch the place 24/7 from the 'other' place.

Reply to
JJ

No problem paying premiums when the house is unoccupied. Better get it in writing that they will actually pay claims if the house is vandalized or burnt. Do not rely on what an agent says, it is not legally binding.

Reply to
Nick Hull