scottish dormers

Hi
I am helping on a research project relating to Scottish architecture in Nova Scotia. My question relates to what we call Scottish dormers. These five sided dormers, see http://www.gov.ns.ca/nsarm/virtual/Lunenburg/archives.asp?ID 8&Search=&SearchList1for an example.
Does this style of dormer really hail from scotland, and if so, were they developed out of practicality or style.
Thanks for your time therepo

http://www.gov.ns.ca/nsarm/virtual/Lunenburg/archives.asp?ID 8&Search=&SearchList1=

Here's another nice Nova Scotian example...
http://www.parl.ns.ca/pictoutour/images/ws_studios2.jpg

Probably because you'd get a more panoramic view than could be obtained from 3-sided?
Also in Newfoundland
http://www.heritage.nf.ca/society/rhs/rs_listing/173b.html
http://www.heritage.nf.ca/society/rhs/stjohns/dn/sjdn_4b.html
I can't recall offhand seeing any in my hometown, but you can see some examples on this Aberdeen site ...Dormer Windows and Roof Extensions Design Guide http://www.aberdeencity.gov.uk/acc/pdf/planning/bcontrol/dormer_guide.pdf
--
Cheers, Helen
hramsay at cogeco dot ca

I'm not sure if they hail from Scotland but they are pretty common here. My own house has one.
Their purpose is probably more style than functionality, although the do give a wider field of view than a flat front dormer.
T N Nurse wrote:

IMHO they appear stylish only as they present to much wall surface like radiator fins, requiring additional insulation and attic ventillation.
However, I'd pick that style for a broader dormer, it looks practical across >6 feet, and tends to become a bay window.
But you know the Scottish, they don't wear panties. Ken
that's right, it's what we used to call OOBIE
Ken S. Tucker wrote:

Ken S. Tucker wrote:

When is the last time you looked ?

Murchadh

More to the point, has our Mister Tucker been peeking? I've heard of these fellows, haunting the Hammer Toss and gawking at every opportunity..........
Madra Dubh wrote:

Scottish wife & I watched "Devil's Brigade" and she enjoyed Richard Dawson's kilt fly up in a fight scene, yup and he was wearing panties. But he's english, so does that count? Ken
wrote

Scottish wife & I watched "Devil's Brigade" and she enjoyed Richard Dawson's kilt fly up in a fight scene, yup and he was wearing panties. But he's english, so does that count? Ken
Erm....As I understand it, no. The wearing of panties is no surprise though as the *nglish have always been a bit more effete than their northern neighbors. ;=)
On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 14:20:16 GMT, "Madra Dubh"

is that the English wear panties because they're too embarrassed at what people may not see - a real man!
Murchadh
Michiln wrote:

LOL, who described their wee-pee-pee as the being tampax like, when Dianna needed a cucumber! Ken

No laddie! They wear Jock straps.........

--
Bryn

"I am not Roo," said Piglet loudly.
writes