scottish dormers

Hi

I am helping on a research project relating to Scottish architecture in Nova Scotia. My question relates to what we call Scottish dormers. These five sided dormers, see

for an example.

Does this style of dormer really hail from scotland, and if so, were they developed out of practicality or style.

Thanks for your time therepo

Reply to
lolo

"lolo" wrote

Here's another nice Nova Scotian example...

Probably because you'd get a more panoramic view than could be obtained from 3-sided?

Also in Newfoundland

I can't recall offhand seeing any in my hometown, but you can see some examples on this Aberdeen site ...Dormer Windows and Roof Extensions Design Guide

The Real Fifeshire Bimbo

"lolo" wrote

I'm not sure if they hail from Scotland but they are pretty common here. My own house has one.

Their purpose is probably more style than functionality, although the do give a wider field of view than a flat front dormer.

Reply to
T N Nurse

> > rchList1=

IMHO they appear stylish only as they present to much wall surface like radiator fins, requiring additional insulation and attic ventillation.

However, I'd pick that style for a broader dormer, it looks practical across >6 feet, and tends to become a bay window.

But you know the Scottish, they don't wear panties. Ken

Reply to
Ken S. Tucker

When is the last time you looked ?

Reply to
Cory Bhreckan

> > > rchList1=

You're the expert apparently. Are you a professional or an amateur?

Murchadh

Reply to
Michilín

In message , Ken S. Tucker writes

No laddie! They wear Jock straps.........

Reply to
Bryn

More to the point, has our Mister Tucker been peeking? I've heard of these fellows, haunting the Hammer Toss and gawking at every opportunity..........

Reply to
Madra Dubh

ws...

Scottish wife & I watched "Devil's Brigade" and she enjoyed Richard Dawson's kilt fly up in a fight scene, yup and he was wearing panties. But he's english, so does that count? Ken

Reply to
Ken S. Tucker

Man dormers to the extreme

Reply to
orange tree

Speak for yourself - Marx & Sparx R Us! Lesley Robertson

Reply to
Lesley Robertson

Scottish wife & I watched "Devil's Brigade" and she enjoyed Richard Dawson's kilt fly up in a fight scene, yup and he was wearing panties. But he's english, so does that count? Ken

Erm....As I understand it, no. The wearing of panties is no surprise though as the *nglish have always been a bit more effete than their northern neighbors. ;=)

Reply to
Madra Dubh

The point that "Ken" has so skilfully glossed over though, of course, is that the English wear panties because they're too embarrassed at what people may not see - a real man!

Murchadh

Reply to
Michilín

LOL, who described their wee-pee-pee as the being tampax like, when Dianna needed a cucumber! Ken

Reply to
Ken S. Tucker