Roofing counter battens? (Scottish)

We were watching a neighbour's roofing work today. I had to look at the DIY FAQ to answer a question but found that it does not cover Scottish roofing:-

(1969) roof has rafters then a gyproc plasterboard sarking (with outer foil), felt, horizontal battens and concrete tiles. Apparently sarking board is a requirement in Scotland.

Anyway, the question was - why have they added counter battens under the new battens?

Geo

Ventilation?

Reply to
JoeJoe

I wondered that - but the only things that would be ventilated are the battens?

Geo

Reply to
Geo

I did this for cross-ventilation on the underside of the rafters before fitting cellotex and plasterboard. I wouldn't bother on the outside though -- tiles are far from air-tight.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The message from Geo contains these words:

the membrane being pierced by slate or tile fixing nails.

Reply to
Roger

In article , Geo writes

If you just had the horizontal battens they would be tight to the felt/membrane and to the sarking boards which would trap any moisture ingress leading to rot. With counter battens there is a vertical run off path for moisture, leaving the roof dry & rot free. The whole idea is about secondary protection, moisture may get in through severe weather or mechanical failure but the roof will remain sound and well drained.

Reply to
fred

Ok - that seems reasonable - wonder why the whole estate was not built like that though? The house being reroofed is detached - but our semi-detached would look a bit weird if only half of it was re-worked with the extra thickness of the counter battens.

Geo

Reply to
Geo