red roofing battens

I'm seeing a lot of red roofing battens being used around my area. Any idea what that's all about ? Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Saw something in the building trade press about this. IIRC, someone decided that standard battens were being used as roof ladders by roofers, and they were never intended for this purpose. The red ones are intended to be used as roof ladders, and so when the H&S man sees red battens, the roofers don't get a bollocking for not using roofing ladders. Or something like that.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Bolted

timber merchant and they are not red. Are they not safe for use ? Who would "100 %" fail them ? I have no intention to "grade" them on site before use. Of course if one had a whacking great knot in it I may not use it ! Some common sense applies. Simon.

Reply to
Simon

bottom graphic? If so, what is W3C compliance worth? Viewing with Firefox 3.5.3

Reply to
David WE Roberts

They've run out of blue ones :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The marketing FUD department ;-)

As long as they are marked with the relevant BS, (BS5534 : 2003 according to above site), then I doubt it matter what colour they are!

Reply to
John Rumm

Same here, I'm using Google Chrome.

mark

Reply to
mark

It looks fine here FF3.5.3 on Linux (with and without AdBlock) also looks OK (no extra content visible) with image display turned off.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes. It appears (in FF) if you Switch Rendering Engine to IE.

Chris

Reply to
chrisj.doran