rolled roofing removal

I have to replace a roof with 2" x 12" pitch, approx 1400 square feet, with 3 layers of asphalt rolled roofing that needs to be removed.

I am planning on doing the removal project myself, have no experience, but anticipate difficulty in breaking up the multi-layered asphalt roofing.

If someone has experience removing rolled roofing, what is the best method to break-up the roofing or how did you accomplish the removal task.

thanks, NewRoofer

Reply to
NewRoofer

A flat bottomed shovel and a strong back. At least that's how I've done it.

Reply to
John Keiser

Reply to
Don Young

A good roofing material supplier would carry those tear-off bars. Tom Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

Call around for roofing strippers. They will show up, put a dumpster in your yard/driveway and have it done in no time for the roofer. With 3 layers your looking at a 20-30 yard container. For me the pittance that they want is worth the dollars.

Reply to
SQLit

I'd tend to agree. Going at it full time? Weekends? Multiply the time it will take times the rental cost for a dumpster, then consider that the roof will be "open" for the same period of time. If you have a crew to do it in a day, and put on the new roofing, then it's a different story.

Reply to
norminn