I would like to check this.
I have been told by a builder that Artex has been "reclassified" in
some way so that removal no longer requires specialist skills,
equipment and resulting cost. He has said that the level of asbestos
in Artex is so low that it can be removed (with effort) by a DIYer
wearing a dust mask and disposed of at the local tip.
Is this correct?
If yes, this will save me thousands (hooray!)
Google is your friend.
In terms of Artex, this site
The Control of Asbestos Regulations came into effect on the 13th November
2006. As a result the removal of Artex will now, in the majority of cases,
be a non-licensable activity.
And this website
Removing asbestos from your home
If you do choose to remove the non-licensable asbestos materials yourself it
will help if you take the following precautions:
a.. wear a dust mask approved for asbestos;
b.. wear a disposable overall
c.. keep other people away from the working area;
d.. wet the material well with water containing a little washing up
liquid; check that there is no potential for contact with electricity first;
e.. always remove whole sheets or components; do not break them up
f.. place any loose or small items in strong plastic labelled bags and
g.. clean up all dust with a damp cloth and then seal it in a plastic bag
h.. do not use a domestic vacuum cleaner as dust may pass through the
If you have removed asbestos from your home yourself, it will need to be
disposed of separately from your normal household waste. You may be able to
arrange to have it collected or there may be special facilities in your area
you can use to dispose of hazardous waste. Contact your local council for
The following link will let you enter details of where you live and then
take you to your local authority website where you can find out more about
I took some sheets of asbestos to a council facility for disposal ,
the helpful man in the little shed pointed out the lidded skip and in
the corner and then added " they look a bit too big to fit in " (the
sheets) " you might need to smash em up to fit em in mate " I
was gobsmacked !
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.