boiler cover scottish gas

scottish gas are offering boiler cover for a small extra payment on top of your monthly bill...what do you think?...

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

I've got a worktop over mine.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Good luck with that.

Brother who lives in Aberdeen had cover with them.

They said his boiler was no longer 'supported' and offered a 'deal' on a new one. That deal was the infamous Potterton condenser which was as unreliable as they come. They also moved the boiler position from the kitchen to the utility room with unsightly pipes running just below the ceiling. In other words, the very easiest way for them.

Some five years later, with the new boiler averaging three breakdowns a year, they said they would no longer cover it.

He got a local firm to install a new one, and they provide cover too - for less than SG.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

SG seem to share traits with BG, are they related? The tendency to arbitrarily and dishonestly condemn any boiler that needs work on it and charge exorbitantly for a replacement seems familiar. I suspect their cover is merely cover for future exploitation of customers. Not recommended. A local firm who will keep the boiler going for three times as long will probably be cheaper in the long term on a pay as needed basis unless one is very unlucky.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

They are the same outfit. Scottish Gas is the trading style used in Scotland.

Reply to
John J Armstrong

We've never had our 15 year old boiler condemned during a service, only warned that parts are becoming harder to get. Although they usually do offer a quote for a replacement - Worcester I think the last one was.

Reply to
Halmyre