Re: Building Physicist

Page 1 of 2
In the American system they are called civil engineers.

civil engineering is roads, sewers, water ... public infrastructure... it only sees a building in the drainage, soil conditions studies necessary for structural engineers to design the foundations etc and preclude such things as landslides.
civil engineering does not get into building structures or its plumbing/ electrical or hvac at all
Having said that ive seen ads such as :
Need enginner to design electronics controls systems for large buildings... degree in civil, mechanical, or structural engineering required.
those sorts or ads are placed by idiots.
Phil scott

That's how the selection criteria are formed in our lab sometimes. It is like: "The applicant will have a PhD in Electrical Engineering, and all of his experience should be in Mechanical Engineering". I believe this is done to cull down on the number of applicants. And then the local guy from the next room is hired into the position who had no stinkin' PhD. That's what happened in our lab recently.

That's how the selection criteria are formed in our lab sometimes. It is like: "The applicant will have a PhD in Electrical Engineering, and all of his experience should be in Mechanical Engineering". I believe this is done to cull down on the number of applicants. And then the local guy from the next room is hired into the position who had no stinkin' PhD. ===================================LOL

Sounds like the last couple of Dilberts. Yesterday Catbert wrote job requirements of an I.Q. of 300, two centuries of UNIX experience, and a track record of winning Nobel Prizes. Today he got such a candidate (thanks to the time machine and immortality drug the candidate invented) and Catbert called him "too old".
Cheers, Russell

Sounds like the last couple of Dilberts. Yesterday Catbert wrote job requirements of an I.Q. of 300, two centuries of UNIX experience, and a track record of winning Nobel Prizes. Today he got such a candidate (thanks to the time machine and immortality drug the candidate invented) and Catbert called him "too old". =========================================History repeats itself....lol

Michael. Your new method of quoting sucks. Thought you'd like to know.

You assume I don't? <angry buzzer sound... Awwww. Sorry, but we do have some lovely parting gifts for Mr. D'Jour. Tell us about them, Don Pardo...>
When I hit reply, some posts are not coming up formatted for a reply...At first it was just Pat's. Now it's also a couple of others on this thread...open to analysis, remedies or solutions....if you have any. I think it has something to do with the poster's agent. Other's were having problems with Pat's around the same time I was IIRC.
Don wrote:

It's Outlook Express, even Microsoft knows it: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid 4312 http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid 8779
a third party fix if you insist on using Outlook Express: http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix /
Personally, I use Thunderbird.
Rusty wrote:

Thanks very much for the link. I'll use the add on as I like using one agent for mail and news. Let's see if it works....Pat?
Michael Bulatovich wrote:

Since you and Rusty seem to be knowledgeable about browsers, perhaps you can solve my problem. In thunderbird, clicking on a URL no longer results in being brought into Firefox to that site. Now I am stuck with tedious cut and paste

++ wrote:

I've got no experience with it....you've check the settings sections, of course?
On 02 Mar 2008, ++ wrote

The link is a Windows registry rather than a program-specific thing -- "all links open in X", rather than "Thunderbird points to browser X".
Have you inadvertently "unmade" Firefox as your default browser? (Or Windows might have done it all on its own; it sometimes likes to screw around with your head like that, just for fun...)
Try unregistering Firefox and then re-designating it as your default. (Open Internet Explorer and make that your default; then open FF; have it check if it's the default again -- Tools>Options>General; close it; and try a link from Thunderbird.)
If that doesn't work, I know of a freebie utility that forces the default to be made which might be worth a last-ditch try.
--
Cheers, Harvey
Architectural and topographical historian
HVS wrote:

Historian *and* IT guy! How do you spell renaissance?
On 03 Mar 2008, Michael Bulatovich wrote

I spell it "S-E-L-F-E-M-P-L-O-Y-E-D". :))
--
Cheers, Harvey
Architectural and topographical historian
HVS wrote:

: D
HVS wrote:

Problem is, I deleted Internet Explorer, I did dislike it so. I kept Outlook Express.

Where can I find Mr. ultility?
On 03 Mar 2008, ++ wrote

If you've actually *deleted* Internet Explorer (rather than just the desk-top links to it), you've almost certainly broken your Windows installation.
(IE is deeply, deeply embedded in Windows; you'd have to have used something like XPLite to rip it out, and it sounds like that's probably not the case.)
So ocheck on your machine for this file:
Program Files>Internet Exporer>iexplore.exe
If you find it, IE's still there (but just hidden) -- s0 either click on it to open it directly, or right-click and choose "Send" to put a shortcut on your desktop to open it later.

There are two of them; the one I used some years ago was
http://www.pc-tools.net/win32/setbrowser /
This one's also recommended by the Firefox people:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/defaultbrowser.htm
And this is an article on the Mozilla/Firefox support people which will tell you *way* way more than you really want to know about setting the default:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Default_browser#Force_Firefox_to_make_its elf_the_default
HTH.
--
Cheers, Harvey
Architectural and topographical historian
Thanks ever so much. Will read it all.I already tried removing Firefox as my default and then going back in and choosing it as my default again but it returned the message that dispite my effforts to undefault it, that is was my default.
HVS wrote:

On 03 Mar 2008, ++ wrote

I suspect that you'll have to either get some other bully-boy program (like IE) to claim default rights, or to use one of those utilities.
This whole process may not solve the Thunderbrid problem, of course, but the process worked for me a few years ago when I had a very similar problem.