Subject Author Posted Replies

5/16 carriage bolt 6 1/2 inches long
I need a stainless steel full thread 5/16 carriage bolt 6 1/2 inches long. My local Lowes nor Home Depot have them. I tried several searches on Google no no effect. Does anybody know where I might...
17
17

LP Air in the shop
Looking for ideas on how to distribute LP air in my shop. My shop is 18' X 22' and I have a stair case in the back corner, under which my compressor sits. Right now, I have a rubber hose running...
27
27

Skill with a Skill
I certainly agree that there are people of all ages with a strong work ethic and the same for slackers. However, I think you find that those who started their work life at a time when you could and...
53
53

advice on this particular piano bench
Hi, I wonder if any of chaps could take a look at this plan for a Mission style piano bench: question is about joining the rails to the legs. The plan seems to recognize the mortise and tenon that...
7
7

Speaking of Minwax Tung Oil Finish
I making and end table and wonder if a Minwax Tung Oil Finish of 3 to 5 coats will give me a waterproof finish that will also be hard enough to protect the top from minor dings? If this will not get...
5
5

Dust collection question
I still have my fancy new 2HP Grizzly Cyclone set up and ready to go, but with no ductwork installed. I borrowed the book "Controlling Dust in the Workshop" by Rick Peters from a buddy hoping that it...
10
10

knife hinges
I'm looking for a knife hinge that will allow 8" wide overlay cabinet doors to be opened completely and fold back along the sides of the case. The door to case relationship will be similar to that...
14
14

Hello all, my name is Rob. I stained some cherry.
A fireplace mantle I am working on for the HomeShow. This is just 1/3 of the whole thing. It shows the detail that the router can do. 3/16" ball-nose bit. 4 hours of machine time. But that's the fun...
11
11

Is Minwax Tung Oil 'Pure' Tung Oil?
I'm finishing some birdseye maple and want to use tung oil to minimize yellowing. Is all tung oil the same? I see 'tung oil' and then 'pure tung oil' advertised. I'm worried about other addatives...
7
7

Display Case project is Finished
I've been working on a glass display box for a Nautilus model I have. I'm self-taught and prone to procrastination and second-guessing, which explains why it took me several months to do this pretty...
4
4

Spiral vs Jig saw
I'm new here, so do not know the group rules. I'm also pretty new to DIY homeowner stuff. I need to install some handicap bars and step rails and refurbish a badly weathered deck. I'm not without some...
41
41

What is it? Set 274
This week I need some help with number 1559: http://55tools.blogspot.com/Rob
16
16

OT: Saving your favorite baseball cap
I have a baseball cap with the name of our local hardware store on it. They gave 200 of them out free to the first customers to show up for an anniversary sale. That hat has been great. I put it on...
13
13

table saw gear lube that can hold up to MDF dust?
I'm cutting lots of MDF on my contractor table saw right now. I don't have a dust collection system. I cleaned and lubed everything before starting this project, but I'm not even a third of the way...
8
8

Round vs Square bench dogs
Hi everyone.. I'm building a bench. The base is done. The cabinet that fits in the base is done and now its time to get serious on the top. I've jointed and planed 16 stringers to glue together, but...
8
8