Are There Any Galoots Still Around?

charlieb wrote,on my timestamp of 9/03/2009 4:10 PM:

Yup. Present.

Reply to
Noons

Noons makes ONE.

More still around here?

Reply to
charlieb

Count me as #two.

I actually have red Galoot cap No 39.

Reply to
Jeff Gorman

I have old #7.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

I'm not one yet but working on it.

just got this last night

Limp Arbor

WIA in Berea provided a good answer to the question in general. If you mean "around here" (rec), I have to ask what qualifies as a galoot. Some people think they are a galoot if they use a chisel to square up the corners of a routed mortise, while some think you need to process felled timbers with a pit saw. I'm somewhere in between. My "galootness"

Stock prep: machine, followed by shooting board and hand planing for precision work. (And some hand work to aid the machines, such as cutting to rough length if too long for the table saw, or knocking off high corners of twisted stock with a jack plane)

Joinery: Edge gluing: power jointer followed by #8 M&T: mixed; hand for few "one-offs", machine for multiple. DT: hand (or band saw for large DT in heavy stock) Sliding DT, dado: machine

Final surfaces: hand-planing.

In general: Machines for heavy, rough, or sweat-inducing work, hand tools for precision or fine work.

Caveat: As a hobbyist, I do what I WANT to do, not what makes sense efficiency-wise. I suspect a pro would do many of the things I do differently.

Reply to
alexy

And one other thing: I am NOT trying to figure out how to convert my lathe to a spring-pole mechanism. Is that disqualifying? ;-)

Reply to
alexy

Mindset is there. just waiting for a little aging.

jc (wondering what, exactly, the min age req. is)

Reply to
Joe

Whenever I fire up the barbecue (fueled with hardwood cutoffs, of course) I always use plane shavings from my type 11 Baileys to get it started.

Reply to
Steve Turner

Very new to this.In my country (Israel),hand tools are hard to find,actualy,next to impossible.Any good links to help me btw?

Reply to
snufkin

Used to see a car with the license plate "galoot" around JPL in the old days of gainful employment. Paddy, was that you?

Personally, I've been a wRECker for 10 or 15 years and do use hand tools a bit now and again. Guess I am a neandernorm. creeeeeeaaaaakkk, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

To clarify, galootness seems to be attitudinal and not a function of TOP-AG (Time On Planet- Above Ground)

And speaking of O'Deen/Paddy, wonder where Dave Fleming (the Nautical), or Conan The Librarian, or Jummywood Jim have gone?

As for sources of hand tools - hopefully available to folks in Isreal

Lee Valley (Canada)

Leech
the budding Galoots who haven't visited Jeff's website GO HERE - NOW! ( THE role model for gentleman galoots)
'm recalling a poem about Lord Nelson that has a line the goes something like

Hang my drum on the old sea wall and should England need me beat the drum and I shall come even from the depths of the sea where I now lay.

Boom! Boom! Boom!

Reply to
charlieb

Ah, well then, present and accounted for.

jc

Reply to
Joe

Jums is back. He is jimmymac now. Probably hiding out as a member of the Brazos River Band. He plays the organ or the flute. Can't remember which. :-) j4

Reply to
jo4hn

"charlieb" wrote

I ought to apologise and say that at present it is but a shadow of its former self.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Gorman

"charlieb" wrote Ground)

And Steve LaMantia?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Gorman

I had a correspondence with Steve in 2002 (still well after being MIA here). He had moved to the Orlando, FL, area and was working with his cousin's rock band. He had run across my website (the woodbutcher one) and kindly remembered me from his wreck days.

No idea if he's still there (here--the place he mentioned is less than

50 miles from my house).
Reply to
LRod

Does this guy count?...

This fellow is looking to buy a saw to cut down some trees in his backyard. He goes to a chainsaw shop and asks about various chainsaws.

The dealer tells him, "Look, I have a lot of models, but why don't you save yourself a lot of time and aggravation and get the top-of- the-line model. This chainsaw will cut a hundred cords of wood for you in one day."

So, the man takes the chainsaw home and begins working on the trees. After cutting for several hours and only cutting two cords, he decides to quit. He thinks there is something wrong with the chainsaw. "How can I cut for hours and only cut two cords?" the man asks himself. "I will begin first thing in the morning and cut all day," the man tells himself.

So, the next morning the man gets up at 4 am in the morning and cuts and cuts, and cuts till nightfall, and still he only manages to cut five cords.

The man is convinced this is a bad saw. "The dealer told me it would cut one hundred cords of wood in a day, no problem. I will take this saw back to the dealer," the man says to himself.

The very next day the man brings the saw back to the dealer and explains the problem. The dealer, baffled by the man's claim, removes the chainsaw from the case. The dealer says, "Hmm, it looks fine."

Then the dealer starts the chainsaw, to which the man responds, "What's that noise?

I couldn't resist....

Robert "New-to-Wreck"

Reply to
New chip of old block

Welcome, Robert. The joke was awful, though. ;)

Reply to
MikeWhy