Subject Author Posted Replies

Woodfinishing & Refinishing School, class, or training programs
Hi, I'm looking for a Wood finishing & Refinishing school that also gets into the chemistry of wood finishes as well as the decorative aspects of coloring wood with chemicals & chemical dye, dye,...
1
1

Pistol grips- finish advice appreciated
Hello all, A guy at work has asked me to make him some custom pistol grips, and I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a good finish for them. They're going to be Lacewood, and are going...
17
17

Woodworking in Action!!! DVD Magazine
Does anyone know if this magazine has gone down the drain? have not received the last two issues of my subscription (4&5). Have sent several emails to them but no answers at all... Lousy customer...
8
8

Advanced Wood Finishing and Refinishing Schools, Classes, Instruction ??? in USA
Hello, Does anybody know of any schools that teach advanced woodfinishing and wood refinishing techniques? I'm looking for a college level coarse that really gets into the chemistry as wall as the...
4
4

TV Woodworking Shows--What hapened?
What has happened to the woodworking shows? I live in the NE in the summer and Florida in the winter. Up north I have Direct TV (satellite) and in FL I have Comcast cable. I get most of the premium...
48
48

Need lacquer coating on gun stock parts in TX. Where to go?
I need some guidance. I'm working on a historical firearm project and I have some stock pieces that I need finished. The pieces are a buttstock (about 12" long) and a pistol grip, in French Walnut,...
12
12

Melamine
Im a novice at cabinet making but I try building things before buying. Is melamine a good option for use in a laundry room that is in an unheated or airconditioned garage? Im looking to make a cabinet...
9
9

Snapping snaplock pipe?
A few weeks ago I bought several 5' lengths of 4" 26 ga. snaplock pipe from a guy on craigslist. The lengths are curved into unsnapped cylinders, about 6-7" in diameter. Just one question: how do I...
1
1

Ur Little Shop
Looks cozy enough and quite adequate to me. What is the clear plastic container on the bench next to a tool box containing some white substance? Hope you don't have immediate plans to use the pickup!...
11
11

Light Sw on DC
Naturally you'll only be switching one leg of the 220 and using a 20 amp rated light switch should be of some concern. While it will work perfectly fine by only switching one leg of the 220V the...
2
2

Unorthodox Door?
I wanted to sheet 2 old solid wood doors with 1" X 6" T&G pre-finished cedar because the doors have sagged over the years & have numerous coats of paint which I don't want to remove. But this will...

light switch for 220V circuit?
Hello, I'm upgrading my DC to one that requires 220Volts. Currently, I use light switches to turn on my DC. When I rewire, is it safe to use 20A lightswitches on a 220 V line? The switches appear to...
6
6

Trimming a door
I am intending to trim 1/2" from the bottom of a solid oak panel door using a skil saw. Do I have to take any precautions to avoid tear-out of the ends of the stiles? Thanks.
7
7

It's winter. Here is my crappy little shop. Anyone else want to post pics of their Shoppe?
It's bright, warm, and cozy with a killer view but not big enough. Are they ever big enough. 's unfinished and will remain that way. The next guy can finish it...:) Webshots, the best in Desktop...
20
20

Estimating lumber needs?
Is there a general rule of thumb to calculate lumber needs for a project? For example if door rail and stiles calculate to 28 ft2, can one typical add say 10% to cover cutoff, short sizes and waste.?...
8
8