Gunner
891: Guess: Lifting wedge. Used to lift septic tank cover. Shove into round hole in heavy stone or concrete thing. Lower part then rotates and wedges. Lift cover, clean septic tank.

892: Guess: Nutcracker.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

The ring is to tie a lanyard to, so that you can find it afterwards.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

#893 looks like a powerline fuse. Sample:

Mark and Kim Smith

890 looks like a window crank assembly 893 looks like an electrical high voltage line fuse
Reply to
Snag

892 -- damned if that doesn't look like a leather belt skiving tool!

893 -- a "cricket". It's a breaker/fuse for a local residential power transformer.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Reply to
Unknown
891 is an early expansion device for fixing a ring to concrete
Reply to
Dave W

#892 was used to resize tapered cork stoppers --- primarily in laboratories. A stopper cork was placed in the device and compressed to the desired size.

Reply to
joeljcarver

890 looks like an old window crank 894a & b I'm going to guess they're old maple syrup taps. The red cloth might be a flag so you can locate it later on.

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

And the ring provides a place from where to hang the bucket.

Reply to
Marc Dashevsky

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

snipped-for-privacy@progressivelogic.com

These are not syrup taps, they are much larger than the 3" taps that I have, and are for an entirely different and more exciting purpose.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.
895 a scale for ... money coins? to proove them by their weigth if they are genuine or false?

greetings from germany chris

Reply to
Christian Stü

Haven't been able to verify any of the the guesses yet for this device, but I just listed most of them on the answer page:

- Optical comparator calibration unit

- Measuring device for recon aircraft images

- Used in cartography to check a printed scale

- Coincidence gauge

- Scale for measuring motion of something behind it

And I'm still waiting for a reply to my email to the manufacturer of it.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

893 is the fuse that goes into a fuse cutout on an electrical distrubtion line. It serves a dual purpose. It (obviously) acts line a fuse for an overcurrent condition. It's also used to "take out" a section of line for maintenance. The lineman would use his hotstick to grab the loop in the top to open and close the cutout.

You can see an example of one here

todd

I think 892 is a cork compressor.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

According to R.H. :

890) This looks like an example of the control crank for casement windows -- but a bit weaker than the current ones. 891) This looks like a sounding lead. The hole in the back of the pivoting piece gets stuffed with grease or tallow, and the thing is oriented so it is down.

When it hits bottom, it picks up samples of the bottom sand, allowing the pilot to get a better idea just where he is. (As well as the length of line telling him just how shallow it is.)

When the line starts to be reeled back in, I suspect that this releases a simple catch and the rounded end turns downward, moving the sample in the tallow into a protected area.

892) This is for squeezing a cork down to a smaller diameter, so it can be inserted into a bottle mouth and then expand to fill the mouth. 893) This one sort of looks like part of the tooling which the power company uses to pull and replace fuses in the moderately high voltage lines feeding the transformers on power poles in residential neighborhoods. There is a lot more pole past the pivoting part shown which is missing -- and is probably why it was not recovered. 894a) A chisel tip for a jackhammer, perhaps? Perhaps the hollow is to feed nitroglycerine into a split driven in stone by the chisel. And the ring would be for attaching it to a chain so it could be recovered after the blast? 894b) Is this one for drilling holes in stone to place dynamite charges for breaking up the stone? It certainly is driven with significant force. 895a) Perhaps a postage scale? Stand the envelopes in the slots until you find the one where the envelope overbalance the counterweight? 895b) If the above is right, I really don't know how this one is used.

Now to see what others have said.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

891. It's to a plumb-bob what Mecha-Godzilla is to regular Godzilla. 892. Jack Lelaine's childhood juicer. 893. Cuban beer tab. They know how to party. 894. Stupid tap. You hammer it into the skull of a teenager to vent all of the pent-up stupidity. The ring is to latch it to a 55-gallon drum. 895. Scale of justice. Note: it's tipped.
Reply to
B.B.