What is it? CLXVII

Set 167 has just been posted:

R.H.
966-- looks like a flat belt stretcher for splicing the two ends.

967--a chalk line marking tool

Reply to
Hunter
970a-e -- they're all parts of a computer keyboard
Reply to
Hunter
969 Nipper/Come-Along (see
for pictures of more) 970 Computer Keyboard (I know this because my old keyboard broke and I had it in pieces and saw exactly what is in those pictures when I took it to bits :)
Reply to
Jonathan Wilson

I've not tried one for a while. I feel pretty dumb when I don't have a good guess or know at least one.

965. A lap anvil?

966. Upholstery web tensioner/stretcher

967. This has to be the origination of the term Pisto Grip drill.

968. I really wanted this thing to be some type of flute, but it sure looks like a lens in that one end.

969. I think I've seen the top tool used for whipping rope, a bit like a fid.

970. I think these are all different shots of a computer keyboard in different levels of undress.

Reply to
DanG

this answer as I type. Sure as QWERTY is the standard.

Mark

Reply to
Markem

967 looks like a cable running gizmo similar to the Cable Caster you can find in your local HD/Lowes store. You shoot the line across a space you want to run a wire, tie the wire off at the other end, then reel it back.
Reply to
N Hurst

967 - If I'm not mistaken, that is a hand cranked drill that was manufactured by a company started by Bill Ruger, of Sturm, Ruger &Co. fame. I seem to recall that he tried manufacturing tools before partnering with Sturm to make guns. Note the similarity to the grip/ receiver parts well known Ruger .22 semi-auto.
Reply to
alanganes

970- computer keyboard

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp
968 is a pointer for slide shows ... The lens usually focuses an image of an arrow and the power cord on the other end plugs into the mains. in the middle is the on/off button.
Reply to
joeljcarver

According to R.H. :

965) An anvil for use in the lap. The vertical bar of the 'T' goes between the legs and is gripped by them. The horizontal bars rest the weight on the legs, and the circular flat area is where the work is placed. 966) I don't want this used on *me*. :-)

At a pure guess, it is for some earlier (and tougher) stages of carding wool.

967) An interesting variant on the eggbeater drill. The crank on the top turns the drill chuck at the "muzzle". Probably from the late 1930s or the early 1940s at a guess (no knowledge basis for this guess -- just purely a guess. :-) 968) A pre laser diode version of the "laser ponter". The white button under the thumb turns on the lamp in the central bulge and the lens at the front focuses the spot (or more likely an arrow image) on the screen. Obviously, it needs to be plugged in, instead of just running from batteries. The photo certainly minimizes the power cord. :-) 969) Look like some form of a "come along" for controlling animals at a guess. 970) This one is quite clear to me. It is a computer keyboard.

Missing the keycaps.

970a) The guides for the key bodies which press on the white silicone rubber "springs" barely visible inside the chimneys. 970b) The flexible circuit boards and divider insulator which make up the switching circuits. Note that where there are circular pads, there are also circular areas around them which appear more transparent. There are actually two pads -- one on the upper board, one on the lower board, and there is an insulator board which has circular cutouts to allow the two circles to touch (and make contact) when the upper board is flexed by the keys. But -- it prevents the crossing wiring from touching. 970c) A part of the logic card, with a green LED, and a connector to go to the cable to the computer, a couple of resistors, three capacitors (two styles), and a moulded plastic pin which holds the board in position when the keyboard is fully assembled. 970d) The silicone rubber "springs" which are pressed down by the keys. This one has all of them as part of a single moulded sheet. Some have individual rubber springs which have to all be placed by hand prior to the next stage of assembly. They look like "falsies" for Barbie dolls. :-) 970e) This looks like the body which slides down the guides under finger pressure to push on the springs.

Now to see what others have said.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

According to Jonathan Wilson :

So -- the main question is whether you got it back together working? :-)

I have a couple of times now -- evicting all of the cat hair from the various parts of the keyboard. Even taking some parts down to the shop and blowing them off with compressed air. And the cat wonders why I lift the keyboard to a shelf when she demands to take over my lap. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

"R.H." opin'd thus:

Number 966 is an upholsterer's webbing stretcher for chair bottoms, and the like. I know that one because I recently had to reupholster some chairs, and I bought one just like it.

Number 970b is an electronic circuit board of some kind, but I don't know what kind, even with the help of the other 970 series of pictures. (I design VLSI chips that have the same kind of wiring (only at a much smaller scale) for a living.)

-Don

Reply to
Don Fearn

Before I even took it too bits, it was already broken (the wire connecting it to the PC broke). Plus, it was full of gunk and in need of replacement anyway :) So no, I didnt fix it, I replaced it with a nice new one :)

Reply to
Jonathan Wilson

966: World's least practical carpet stretcher 967: Hand drill 968: Slide viewer. Or possibly kaleidoscope with its own light 969: Cart puller 970: Keyboard.
Reply to
Matthew T. Russotto

"Matthew T. Russotto" wrote: There's no such thing as a free lunch, but certain accounting practices can result in a fully-depreciated one. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Over what period would you depreciate a lunch--maybe 3 hours? OTOH, if you buy a lunch for a client, and he remains your customer for years, I guess, technically, you would have to depreciate it over that period ;-).

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

The odd thought which resulted in that signature was about leftovers

-- the meal would be "fully depreciated" over the course of the meal, and any leftovers would have zero residual value.

Any resemblance to GAAP is purely coincidental, of course -- and if such resemblance exists, quite frightening.

Reply to
Matthew T. Russotto
970: upholstery strap stretching tool (fit the strap on one end to the frame, drape over other end of the frame and impale on the points, while levering against the frame with the rubber-bumper edge of the tool). Just this afternoon, I watched Norm Abrams do the same task with a vise-grip...

968: pre-laser-pen light pointer. Not something I'll miss. (just another cord for a lecturer to trip over)

Reply to
whit3rd

They've all been answered correctly this week, back to the usual Thursday for the next set. Finally got the answer page finished:

R.H.

Rob,

I own climbing hooks. I use them.

The 1008 picture does not look like any climbing hooks I've ever seen and I do not see any way in which they could possibly work for climbing.

Do you have any further information?

Reply to
DanG