Wrecklish - A Guide For The Non-Native Speaker

rebate (rabbet) A groove or recess cut into the edge of a board to receive the edge of another piece.

Source: Construction Dictionary, 2nd printing 1979, published by Greater Phoenix, Arizona Chapter #98 of The National Association of Women in Construction. (P.O. Box 6142, Phoenix, Arizona 85505), Library of Congress Catalog Card No. 78-54448

Comments: This dictionary started out as spiral bound book for the female office staff to have terms used in construction clearly defined and built up to be a dictionary in demand all over the country. I purchased mine (628 pages) in 1980 and have not updated it, but more has been added to it through the years in subsequent editions. It's amazing what is in it, things not found in any other dictionary, truly a work of those who work in the field. In addition to definitions, etc., it has measurement references and various construction-related sketches.

Webster's ain't agonna have "Lu-Re-Co," "lump hammer," "plate bearing test," or "Rosie O'Moore" (slang for a door). Neither will Webster's have "frick" which is a McDonald's term used in their construction contracts meaning to move one line item to another phase of the construction (like from drive up to lobby). Yup, the fast-food restaurant chain.

Glenna

Reply to
Glenna Rose

So is "rabbet". I just thought we should get all the spellings, mis-spellings and mis-meanings included.(LOL)

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

I was introduced to the term rebate (alt spelling of rabbet) sometime in the early eighties....

Reply to
bridger

snip: SWMBO: She Who Must Be Obeyed. The person responsible for assigning project work and approving expeditures for tools to complete same.

Reply to
Larry Levinson

According to Delta's sticker, I have a TP300 Planner, not a TP300 Planer as I thought. Never noticed before.

I can take a pic and post it if anyone needs proof.

;-)

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 09:24:29 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@all.costs calmly ranted:

It's dem Brits what done it. 'Tis a Pommy term.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Here's another one:

Snipe (noun) - The illusive bird we chased deep in the woods at nigh with paper bags in our youth, (commonly referred to as "snipe hunting" that, as adults, we commonly find perched on the edge of freshly plane boards

-- makesawdust

Reply to
makesawdust