Newbe at Christmas

As a newbe, I've just got for Christmas, a router, scroll saw, and orbital sander. I've noticed the variable speed control on the scroll saw and sander. What is the purpose of the variable speeds? (besides making them run faster or slower)

Told you I was a newbe. Thanks in advance.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Blake

Some routers have variable speeds too. On the sander, some feel the slower speeds give them more control, more feel and might slow the speed down on problem spots.

My ROS doesn't have a variable speed.

Reply to
patrick conroy

The speed control on the Scroll Saw enables you to have more control over your project. If you are just starting out use a rather heavy blade and a slow speed until you get the hang of it. Slower speeds are also required when cutting metals. Also a must for plastics so as to stop the material re-fusing together at the back of blade. John

Reply to
John