Worm Drive Blades

Greetings, I have recently acquired a Skill 77 worm drive. I realize that their is the diamond shaped punch out on the blade that is specific for worm drive arbours. My question is that is it ok to use thin kerf blades or is it better to stick with the regular thickness blades in a worm drive. I have done a Google search and read the other posts on worm drives. I will be using the saw for the usual purposes of cutting 2X lumber as well as taking down sheet goods to more manageable sizes. Thank you Tony

Reply to
Tony Mo

My question is why would you want to use a thin kerf blade? There are usually one of two reasons people use thin kerfs: conserve material, reduce draw on underpowered motor.

Now I've never heard of anyone accusing a 77 of being underpowered and you say below that you're going to be cutting 2x lumber which doesn't seem to be a "conserving material" issue. Even rough cutting sheet goods doesn't cover either category.

So, my question is why would you want to use a thin kerf blade?

Reply to
LRod

Tony, I use the Marathon blade in all of my '77s'. Its a carbide tipped inexpensive blade that holds up very well for framing work. Most framers around here use the same. When I use it to reduce sheet goods, (sheeting, flooring, ect.) it works fine. However, in the rare case I use the saw to reduce cabinet grade plywood, I will cut long and the trip accurately with the table saw.

Dave

Teamcasa

No reason you can't use a TK blade, but there's no good reason to use one either. Last time mine was let out I was ripping the natural edges of wet silver maple that was milled to 9/4" thick. The finished pile was 1100 bd ft and the 77 never missed a beat. Thatbwas with a cheap-assed $4.00 carbide combo- blade (new).

Good luck Rob

Reply to
Rob Stokes

the skil77 has one of the most powerful motors available in a handheld saw. the main point of a thin kerf blade is that it takes less power to run them. they also cost more. thicker blades run truer and last longer. I'd say don't waste your money.

Reply to
bridger