Skilsaw Worm Drive Model # ?

Just got a Skilsaw Worm Drive in. Needs some help but the nameplate with all the information is gone.

So: It is all metal, sightglass for lubricant, carrying/using handle is at an angle to the motor housing, 7-1/4" almost for sure. Definetely will not accomodate an 8" blade. On the base is a "77" which tells me it is a model 77 of some type. Not especially lightweight so probably not magnesium.

Some of the models I looked at online have a red handle and this one does not.

I would ask Skil, but their answer is no doubt that with no nameplate, they can't help.

Thanks for any assistance. Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

The 77 is Skil's classic gear drive 7-1/4". They only made, AFAIK, this saw in 7-1/4" and 8-1/4".

Body is aluminum, unless you've got one of the newer magnesium models. Use Skil's special lube for the gears.

Any current manual should give you all the info you need. I'd bet that it will use brushes from current, or recent, models.

I don't know how good Skil's customer service people are, but I'd not discount them out-of-hand as you've done. At least give them a try.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Check eBay. There will be a lot of different versions of the "77" for sale and you can scan the pictures. I'd say there's a pretty good chance that you can find yours and hopefully the seller will have included the detailed model number.

I did this with a 35 year old Craftsman chain saw and was able to identify the exact model and get parts.

Tom

Reply to
tom_murphy

Chearlie et al:

After much more research I have concluded that my Worm Drive Skilsaw is an early model from the 60s or later.

All the pictures I found on Ebay and the like show the Handle/Switch assembly to be a separate part. Bolted/screwed to the motor housing. Most are red in color. With mine the handle/switch assembly is integral with the motor housing and of course the color of the casting. Gray aluminum.

My upper blade guard has an attached orange colored "Skilsaw" label that is attached with small rivets.

I did find a picture on a website that said Skil made their first worm drive saw in the mid twenties. The saw actually looked just like mine but the Skilsaw label on the upper blade guard was not detailed enough to determine more. Mine of course is not that old because the power cord is 3 wire or grounded. Makes it the late 60s.

If anyone has a Worm Drive Skilsaw like mine I would appreciate the information from the label on the motor housing.

FWIW the motor housing casting had the foot bracket broken and I had it welded back on.

Thanks to all Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ